• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Humpback Whale - Mumbles (1 Viewer)

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
I just heard on BBC Radio 5 about a Humpback Whale seen off the mumbles in South Wales. I know nothing more.

Mark

I have been unable to find out any further information on this.

But now on RBA - possibly present for 3 days, any further info on this?

Mark

Last edited:
I saw the whale today

I managed to get some gen on it, for the past few days it has been following a pattern,
It comes in a few hours before high tide, 3pm yesterday, and shortly after 3pm today high tide was 5ish today.

It feeds close inshore between the Pier and the Knab, showing down to 20m

Map below

www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=51.5704&lon=-3.9854&scale=25000&icon=x

There is plenty of free parking and it is quite a draw for the locals.

If you want any more info PM me

Full details and photo's on my Blog late Sunday

Mark

hmm that looks almost like the same animal that was recently seen in the Netherlands. If it is, then it would be a very remarkeble animal, since it was discovered in May 2007 in the Netherlands, then vanished, resurfaced in Ireland in September, then showed up again in November back in the Netherlands... and now... Wales?

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=101585

There has also been a Humpback Whale recently (a week or two ago I think) off Stonehaven in northeast Scotland, so there's maybe a few around.

There has also been a Humpback Whale recently (a week or two ago I think) off Stonehaven in northeast Scotland, so there's maybe a few around.

And what if that was also the same animal? Are there any pictures available?

Please make as much pictures as you can, it would be very nice to prove the Wales humpback is the same individual as the one in the Netherlands and Ireland. There are some very good pictures available of that specimen (beak, fin, tail), so a definite identification should be a possibility.

Please make as much pictures as you can, it would be very nice to prove the Wales humpback is the same individual as the one in the Netherlands and Ireland. There are some very good pictures available of that specimen (beak, fin, tail), so a definite identification should be a possibility.

http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/gal...lery=gallery22

I just looked at this pictures. I believe it is not the same animal. The dosal fin is white but not in the same pattern as the Humpback in IJmuiden Netherlands. This is my picture of the Humpback near IJmuiden.

(PS. I made the pictures of the breaching Humpback)

Attachments

• Dorsal1173.jpg
    Dorsal1173.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

I'm not aware of any pictures of the Stonehaven Humpback, although further details are here:
http://www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk/news.php

Yes, although there's a white pattern on the dorsal fin, it doesn't show the hooked shape of the Dutch humpback. So the Wales whale must be a different animal. Sorry.

Last edited:
has it been seen again today? Its marked on the RBA birdmap as beeing seen somwhere of port talbot, or somewhere near?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back