• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hungary For More - short break 10-14th Sept 2013 (2 Viewers)

Nice, compelling and detailed description of the places. Too bad I found your post quite late. We visited Hortobagy at the beginning of October, all I can say is that the Cranes are a "must see", all 100000 or so... We had a white tailed eagle fly above us quite close while we were waiting in the hides at the last pond and we watched the Curlews feed for quite some time. We also had a tip about a common feeding area North-West of Balmazujvaros (5-6kms) that payed off.

For your next trip it might be worth to add a day or to for Tisza lake, it's easy to rent boats at any harbor and you can find good maps too, both in Tiszafured and Poroszlo. We went there in May last year, with a little bit of luck and advice from the locals you might be lucky enough to catch closeups of some of the birds, we've seen a female marsh harrier fishing for example, night herons from up close, egrets, both little and great, and a squacco heron. White tailed eagle and cormorants flying above our heads and even a pygmy cormorant quite close. And on top of all that, it's a pleasure to row a boat on those tight canals filled with vegetation and wildlife (I don't really miss the mosquitoes, though).

A belated thanks for posting this report, my brother and I are off to Hungary this September and the detailed information that you've provided will come in very useful - cheers.

James.

A belated thanks for posting this report, my brother and I are off to Hungary this September and the detailed information that you've provided will come in very useful - cheers.

James.

Thank you James, hope its all still relevant as things do change. Not much help regards the Woodies!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back