• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

HX Steiner 15 x 56 (1 Viewer)

Hi, guys I just purchased a new set of HX Steiner 15 x 56, I also have a pair of Nikons 16x56, (which is a great set of binoculars as well) these Steiner's are amazingly clear! I use them for site seeing, animal spotting, etc. But what's different about them is, (and I have not seen it using my Nikon's) Yesterday was the first day I took them for a field test and I noticed on a very bright clear sunny day (especially looking over the forest covered in snow) at certain times while I was looking through them, I have noticed a blue like color trimming just on the very edges of certain things other then what I'm looking at. I don't know if it's due to looking through them for a long period of time or what it is, it's not in the way but it's very noticeable on certain trees, rock, or whatever is in my FOV. (but like I said previously not directly in the center of whatever it is I'm looking at).is this what's called "chromatic aberration"?
Thanks for everyone's input.

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Yes this sounds very much like CA and typically it occurs on the edges of objects where there is a high contrast between the object and the background. An extreme example might be a black pole carrying black cables against a sky of white clouds. Usually CA is more noticeable towards the edge of the fov.

Lee

Users who are viewing this thread