• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hybrid duck ID [Netherlands] (1 Viewer)

annelikesbirds

Hello!

I went out for a walk today and was really excited to see some tufted ducks in the normally mallard-dominated pond... until I noticed the eye and bill colour of the duck in the first picture. The duck in the second picture looks 'better', but there were so many hybrids in the pond that I'm leaving it to you to decide :) Could anyone please identify both ducks? Any tips on how to determine parent species?

And finally I have a question about names: in Dutch one would call the duck in the third picture a 'soup duck' (which of course isn't 'scientific' in any way). In English I've only ever come across 'domestic mallard' - surely you have a better (funnier!) name for them?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2017-09-10 om 20.57.16.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2017-09-10 om 20.57.16.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Schermafbeelding 2017-09-10 om 20.57.40.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2017-09-10 om 20.57.40.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 42
  • Schermafbeelding 2017-09-10 om 20.57.25.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2017-09-10 om 20.57.25.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 29
And finally I have a question about names: in Dutch one would call the duck in the third picture a 'soup duck' (which of course isn't 'scientific' in any way). In English I've only ever come across 'domestic mallard' - surely you have a better (funnier!) name for them?

They're often referred to as "hybrid ducks/mallards" in the States and less commonly as "barnyard ducks/mallards" (the name I personally tend to use). But you're right, for most birdwatchers (as opposed to the general public), they're just "(feral) domestic mallards".

Thanks! For some reason neither of my bird books show any examples of juvenile ducks and 'like female' only ends up confusing me :)

Manky mallard does have a ring to it...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back