• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I bought EL 12x50 for $2149.95 New! (1 Viewer)

jaymann

Hello Fellow members,
Can you please help me decide?

Should I keep EL 12x50 which I paid @2280 inc. tax or still go for NL 12x42 for $3263?

Is the difference in price worth it? i do notice more than normal CA in EL 12x50 compared to my 8.5x42.

bino.jpg

If the money is not the issue, I'd go for it.
The NL 12x42 got the highest grade ever given by Allbinos, which does suggest it is a notch above.
That said, the 12x50 EL 12x50 is a superb glass by all accounts, plus 50mm gathers quite a bit more light than 42mm, so if twilight viewing is important for you, maybe stick with the 50.

If you are a hunter? There is no question about it NL's 12x42 all day long...I just purchased 12x42 for raptor viewing and I can see how these
little beauty's will be the go to binos for hunter's, NO question about it!

Michael

Last edited:
Tough one. That's a good deal on those 50s.
I'd probably go with the NLs. They are quite a bit smaller than the 50s, and really handy. I'm sure its pretty dang fun to have a pair of 12s that are so compact and lightweight.
With these two it seems more that they will be different than one will be better than the other. It'll come down to preference and use.

Hi Jaymann,

Firstly, welcome to the forum. And secondly, congratulations on your purchase
As with many comparisons, the pragmatic consideration of the one that you can get at a significantly better price, may be the ‘best choice' for you!

However, as a big fan of the 12x50 EL, I too am interested in the 12x42 NL to 12x50 EL comparison
And on paper, the NL wins in most specifications . . .

The NL:
• has a 13% wider Field of View (113 m/ 339 ft vs 100 m/ 300 ft), which translates to a 28% greater area of FOV
• is 19% lighter (840 g/ 29.5 oz vs 1kg/ 35 oz) and is more compact in all dimensions
• has superior ergonomics due to it’s unique shape, and
• has superior handling due to most of the above, along with the option of the forehead rest
So generally, the NL has greater flexibility and utility for handheld use

And the NL seems to have a superior focuser feel due to the simplified mechanism. Though in use, my 12x50 EL causes no concern

Additionally, the NL and EL are effectively identical in:
• transmission (91% vs 90%)
• minimum focus distance (2.6 m/ 8.5 ft vs 2.8 m/ 9.2 ft), and
• eye relief (18 mm vs 19 mm) *

However, the EL is of course the clear winner in terms of exit pupil size:
• 4.2 mm vs 3.5 mm, so a 44% increase in area
As the eyes response to changing light intensity is not linear, the EL will work better in a much wider range of situations
And more generally, the larger EP will provide a more relaxed view, as the eyes do not have to remain as closely aligned with the optical axes

We know that the two have a similar optical construction, and a similar type of image: a flat plane of focus and no barrel distortion
However, what remains to be seen is the differences in the subtleties of image quality - taking into account both individual user sensitivities and preferences
So as always at this stage of a new product’s life, what we need to wait for is some detailed field comparisons by knowledgable users

* Though as we know there is often a significant difference in nominal and effective ER, which may be a deal breaker for those who wear spectacles
Roger Vine has measured the 12x50’s effective ER as 16 mm from the lowest eyecup position (see: http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro12x50EL.htm )
And the NL’s needs to be confirmed

John

Last edited:
Thanks for great advise. I looked through ELs today for 15 mins and tried different distances and objects. I think really like them. Because this binocular will hold its value and especially for what I paid, I will keep it. In a year or two if NLs really prove to be better then I will make the switch.

I wouldn't jump ship to a NL just yet. While there are some who mention incredibly obvious improvements when compared to the EL, others seem slightly more reserved. Even though AllBinos gives the NL a great review, it isn't astronomically superior to the EL SV (or SF, EDG, etc.) in their metrics. Not to mention, eye placement on a 12x50 should be easier.
The biggest advantage the NL may afford is the headrest to stabilize vibrations.

Justin

The biggest advantage the NL may afford is the headrest to stabilize vibrations.

Justin

That what the brim of a hat can be used for. Before an expensive headrest with a logo on it, there are hats with stiff brims.... They work!

-Bill

Thanks for great advise. I looked through ELs today for 15 mins and tried different distances and objects. I think really like them. Because this binocular will hold its value and especially for what I paid, I will keep it. In a year or two if NLs really prove to be better then I will make the switch.

Personally, I can't imagine a 12X42 NL being "worth" over a THOUSAND DOLLARS over an EL 12X50. Take a deep breath and think about it. Literally impossible. I think your decision is a wise one. The EL 12X50 is an awesome binocular and is not about to be obsolete any time soon.

That what the brim of a hat can be used for. Before an expensive headrest with a logo on it, there are hats with stiff brims.... They work!

-Bill

Correct Bill! I've been doing that for way longer than I've been a member of BF! LOL!

Hi Jaymann,

Firstly, welcome to the forum. And secondly, congratulations on your purchase
As with many comparisons, the pragmatic consideration of the one that you can get at a significantly better price, may be the ‘best choice' for you!

However, as a big fan of the 12x50 EL, I too am interested in the 12x42 NL to 12x50 EL comparison
And on paper, the NL wins in most specifications . . .

The NL:
• has a 13% wider Field of View (113 m/ 339 ft vs 100 m/ 300 ft), which translates to a 28% greater area of FOV
• is 19% lighter (840 g/ 29.5 oz vs 1kg/ 35 oz) and is more compact in all dimensions
• has superior ergonomics due to it’s unique shape, and
• has superior handling due to most of the above, along with the option of the forehead rest
So generally, the NL has greater flexibility and utility for hand held use

And the NL seems to have a superior focuser feel due to the simplified mechanism. Though in use, my 12x50 EL causes no concern

Additionally, the NL and EL are effectively identical in:
• transmission (91% vs 90%)
• minimum focus distance (2.6 m/ 8.5 ft vs 2.8 m/ 9.2 ft), and
• eye relief (18 mm vs 19 mm) *

However, the EL is of course the clear winner in terms of exit pupil size:
• 4.2 mm vs 3.5 mm, so a 44% increase in area
As the eye’s response to changing light intensity is not linear, the EL will work better in a much wider range of situations
And more generally, the larger EP will provide a more relaxed view, as the eyes will not have to remain as strongly aligned with the optical axes

We know that the two have a similar optical construction, and a similar type of image: a flat plane of focus and no barrel distortion
However, what remains to be seen is the differences in the subtleties of image quality - taking into account both individual user sensitivities and preferences
So as always at this stage of a new product’s life, what we need to wait for is a number of detailed field comparisons from knowledgable users

* Though as we know there is often a significant difference in nominal and effective ER, which may be a deal breaker for those who wear spectacles
Roger Vine has measured the 12x50’s effective ER as 16 mm from the lowest eyecup position (see: http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro12x50EL.htm )
And the NL’s needs to be confirmed

John
Good comparison, John! I would add that the headrest on the NL will compensate for some of the exit pupil advantage of the EL as far as eye placement. An image stabilized binocular doesn't need as big of an exit pupil for easy eye placement because it is steadier and the head rest on the NL would have a similar effect. Also, being an NL owner I would not underestimate the contrast and color profile advantage over the EL. It makes quite a difference and it is not brought up to often. There is a big size and weight difference between the two also with the EL being 5 1/2 oz. heavier and almost 1/2 inch longer and a 1/4 inch wider. With the contoured shape of the NL it seems even smaller than it is. In fact, I was surprised how small it really is. It almost feels like a 32 mm in your hands due to the ergonomic design of the tubes. The 12x50 EL feels like a much bigger binocular in your hands. The littler NL 12x42 would be a potent, comfortable binocular for long distance birding.

Last edited:

-Bill

Yep, I'm always to be found wearing a hat during birding ventures, and this is one of the many reasons; the forehead rest is, to me, the most novel part of the binoculars and thus why I bothered mentioning it at all.

Justin

Hello Fellow members,
Can you please help me decide?

Should I keep EL 12x50 which I paid @2280 inc. tax or still go for NL 12x42 for $3263?

Is the difference in price worth it? i do notice more than normal CA in EL 12x50 compared to my 8.5x42.

View attachment 737551

I think you are just playing around. So you be the judge, will you buy both
so you can compare, or ?.....

You bought it you keep it.

Jerry

I think you are just playing around. So you be the judge, will you buy both
so you can compare, or ?.....

You bought it you keep it.

Jerry

Jerry,
not sure what you mean but I am trying to get some advise from experienced members. NO I will not buy both or compare them. I just want to buy and keep one. Because NL 12x42 is not available at this point , I was trying to ask should i keep 12X50 EL or return it(45 day return policy). If i had not picked up the EL for this low price, i could have waited and bought either one.

I sold my 12x50 SV few weeks ago to reserve the fund for the NL 12x42. The biggest issues I had with the 50SV were the weight and eye relief. I barely can hold the 12x50 up my eyes for a couple minutes without feeling tire of my arms. And I can't ever have a full view with my eye glasses on. The eyecup edges on the 10x50 SV were so thick that cut out the critical 2,3mm eye relief. I tried the NL 12x42 last weekend and really like it and will soon purchase a pair.

Like what others mentioned, I manage to try out a NL 10x42 last week at a shop, its dazzling clear and it feels like my kid will like it better than me. Its wickedly appealing! The EL 12x is already very clear and I have been looking for a 12x for my raptor watch beginning in November. I will be trying the NL 12x next month when its available locally. The price between the EL and NL 12x is not very far in my local shop. Did you guys have a promo for the EL in your country?

Like what others mentioned, I manage to try out a NL 10x42 last week at a shop, its dazzling clear and it feels like my kid will like it better than me. Its wickedly appealing! The EL 12x is already very clear and I have been looking for a 12x for my raptor watch beginning in November. I will be trying the NL 12x next month when its available locally. The price between the EL and NL 12x is not very far in my local shop. Did you guys have a promo for the EL in your country?

You cannot find the same price, as I bought it from a local store

I would rather have the 12x42 NL by far.
In the future, its advantges will be realized and appreciated; the extra price will be long forgotten.

Hi Malsam... you will see a lot of raptors in October and November in Singapore for sure! OK... maybe not the numbers at places like Chumpon or Tanjong Tuan/Cape Rachado, but you'll still see plenty of migratory raptors - oriental honey buzzard (often in groups of six to eight), Japanese sparrowhawk, and black baza being the most common, but watch out for more unusual ones - as well as local residents.

I just wanted to note that after having used 7x, 8x, 10x and 12x for raptor-watching, each has its strengths and weaknesses. 7x has the least shake and when scanning for hours this can be an advantage (less eye fatigue). Some 7x42 and 7x35 models also have a wide field of view which can be helpful if you are counting raptors. At the other extreme the greater magnification of 12x can be useful for identifying or tracking distant raptors, but field of view can be more confined, and the effect of shake/wobble more pronounced. I find 12x is best used when you can brace your elbows, either against your knees when seated down or against a rail or other structure when standing, and ideally alongside another observer with lower magnification and wider field of view who can help as a spotter. The NL series gives you a wider field of view, and some users report the headrest helps with shake, but I would definitely suggest trying the 8x or 10x (the 8.5x42 EL is also excellent) for this job before buying the 12x42, especially if you're relatively new to raptor watching, as the two lower magnifications may still prove to be more suited for this purpose.

Let us know how you get on and maybe in a few months' time, if I see someone at Telok Blangah pointing a NL into the sky, I'll come over and say hello!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back