• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I hope I'm in the right place (1 Viewer)

txpossum

United States
A pileated woodpecker cautiously approaching my birdbath; just as he gets down a chapparral bird leaps at him.

I'm probably in the wrong forum...:rolleyes:

Yes, I'm going to move this great video to the Birds & Birdings section and you'll be notified when someone posts to it. ;)

Whistling tree ducks down on my cattle tank. I've seen them in my front yard, but as far as I know this is the first time they had a family of their own. I can't believe they made it past all the coyotes!

Last edited:
Oh, the poor woodpecker in the first video. He looks so hot! I hope he was able to come back quickly and cool off.

Your videos are really nice. I particularly like the woodpecker who seems to not be able to take a hint about whether a space is occupied.

That kildeer may not actually be a fledgeling. Kildeer nest on the ground, and their young are up and running about shortly after hatching. Think baby chickens. I believe "fledgeling" means a bird that's begun to grow in its flight feathers, and not just one that's out of the nest.

Youtube puts those ads on all videos. They suggest something else for the person watching the video to click on, after finishing whatever they're watching at the moment. The suggested videos change depending on what the person in question has been watching, as Youtube tries to guess what else the person would like.

I thought a 'fledging' was any baby out on its own for the first time -- thanks for the correction! So were the ducklings fledglings, or new swimmers? :unsure:

Thanks for sharing your videos.
Unfortunately, the music wasn’t to my taste so I watched wi the sound muted.
Also, being a Brit, I had to google chaparral bird as I couldn’t see it on the video.

What's up with the Youtube ads for other people's videos? :confused:

Hi txpossum

Rather than linking to videos in YouTube, you could upload your videos directly to our Gallery here. That way the ads you don't like at the end will not appear.

Thanks for sharing your videos.
Unfortunately, the music wasn’t to my taste so I watched wi the sound muted.
Also, being a Brit, I had to google chaparral bird as I couldn’t see it on the video.
A chaparral bird is a roadrunner, a western bird who doesn't fly much but runs like the dickens beside a car. This probably won't mean anything to you since you're from England (or to Americans younger than 50 - :giggle:) but when I have a roadrunner racing me I lower the window and yell High Chaparral!!!

A chaparral bird is a roadrunner, a western bird who doesn't fly much but runs like the dickens beside a car. This probably won't mean anything to you since you're from England (or to Americans younger than 50 - :giggle:) but when I have a roadrunner racing me I lower the window and yell High Chaparral!!!
Actually I have seen a Greater Roadrunner, it was in southern Colorado a couple of years ago on an organised birding trip (although it ran across the road rather than along it) but nobody used your nickname.

Thanks for the explanation though.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back