• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I Like the Field Pro System (1 Viewer)

quincy88

Based on the complaints that I have read about it, I'm guessing this opinion is very unpopular, but I really like the Field Pro System.

First, the streamlined objective lens covers are really nice. In my opinion way nicer than anything else out there. The omission of the band that goes around the barrel is really clever, and results in better looking and better handling binoculars. They look and feel the same whether the lens covers are on or off. Especially with a pair like the NLs, which apparently were designed with ergonomics and feel very much in front of mind, I think it would take something away from their tactile experience to have that band on the end of the barrels. I've only had a pair with the Field Pro package for a few months, so I cannot speak to their longevity, but so far they are holding up just fine.

Second, the stud strap system is a bit of a nightmare upon first introduction, but has demonstrated its virtues to me over time. One thing that I think is great about it is that the binoculars are self plumbing when hanging from your neck. I always find it a bit annoying when with regular studs the binoculars are not balanced and will hang at an angle. Also, when the strap is accidentally installed with a twist in it, there is no problem in removing the twist by simply rotating one of the mounting rings around the stud. The studs, attachment points, and rings all seem robust and well made. I did have a difficult time the first time that I put the strap on - everything was really new and tight and there was some cursing and frustration but I did manage to put the straps on in a few minutes without injury to myself or the binoculars. But, things have loosened up now, and attaching or removing the strap is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

And lastly, I'm not sure if the length adjustment on the strap is considered Field Pro, but I really like that too. It allows me to easily share my binoculars with my lovely birding partner who is a much different size than I am.

I've read the comments that Swarovski made something that used to be simple into an over-complicated mess. And I can clearly see the virtue in that argument - it is more complicated and sometimes downright difficult to use (especially when new). But, I also see the virtue in what they came up with - it works as well and often times better than the more simple alternative.

Now that I am accustomed to the FP system, the only thing I don't like are the dangling excess straps on each side. I considered cutting them shorter, but didn't want the remaining ends to fray.
I wish there was a way of reattaching the plastic caps onto the new ends.

If you cut the cord, just hold a lighter to the free end briefly. It will melt the nylon and prevent fraying. I shortened two of my SV straps this way, but I could also reattach the keeper. The newer FP keeper, so far as I know, cannot be reattached.

To me, the keeper is just for extra security in case the adjuster fails (it won't, lol). But as a backpacker I really avoid equipment failures.

If I come up with a good substitute keeper I'll post back.

The general problem with overengineered "ergonomic" design (including thumb indents etc) is that it insists on being held/used exactly as envisioned. (I suddenly realize that the novel shape of the NL is not like this: useful, yet still completely versatile.) Quincy is fortunate in finding the Swaro gear more suitable, as I (who set up a strap once and forget it, and don't use objective covers) do not, for all the reasons given above and elsewhere. (I just leave even the pre-FP Swaro strap with its nasty poky levers and flapping bits curled up in the box and install my favorite standard strap instead, which happens to be labeled for a competing brand, if Swaro is listening here...!)

Of course there's no point arguing about it, but it would be interesting (at least for Swaro) to know which approach a majority actually prefers. Complaints are often over-represented. Someone should set up a poll here, or have they already?

If you cut the cord, just hold a lighter to the free end briefly. It will melt the nylon and prevent fraying. I shortened two of my SV straps this way, but I could also reattach the keeper. The newer FP keeper, so far as I know, cannot be reattached.

To me, the keeper is just for extra security in case the adjuster fails (it won't, lol). But as a backpacker I really avoid equipment failures.

If I come up with a good substitute keeper I'll post back.
There is no cord with the Nls, unlike the Els. The Nls actually have a more sturdy strap attachment with the same button/pin. So you can't melt the excess strap like you can with the El cords. The Nls also have a different kind of adjuster, which is a lever that lifts to adjust the strap, and is pressed down to lock. I like it much better than the El adjuster, where you turn the adjuster and may be less certain whether you are locked or not.

Hey Tenex,
Interesting thoughts.
Are you saying that the NLs are an ergonomic, but versatile design, and are unusual in that respect? Am I reading that right?
On your straps though, do you like the rotatability of the universal strap rings included with the Field Pro package? Any opinion on that part?
I bet you are right that complaints are often over-represented. I suppose it is our nature in some ways. People want to talk about the things that get them all fired up.
I guess I am fortunate that I do like the Field Pro stuff. It took a little getting used to, and some open-mindedness on the strap lug system (I initially did not like them at all), but it all worked out in the end.

Yes, I meant that the NL wasp-waist is unusually versatile for an "ergonomic" design, and much like ordinary bins(!) easily allows holding in a range of ways. (Having maligned thumb indents, I should also admit that those on the SLC 56 are actually broad enough to be versatile.)

I have no opinion as to whether rotating attachments are good/bad, having none... I've never found ordinary straps a problem, or had a sudden need to disconnect a strap. Some think they solve strap twists, others think they cause them. I thought I'd never need to worry about FP having chosen SLC over EL, but if I get seriously interested in an NL I'll need some open-mindedness myself!

Using the NL neck strap system over the last eight weeks has been a really good experience for me.

Yes it took a few practices to get used to installing the lug fixings, but once secured in place, the rotation of the strap in the fixings ensures the binoculars always hang nicely.

That initial chore aside, the system has proved itself in use by being readily adjustible. I often carry the binoculars on long strap for walking but adjust to short strap when watching.
Yes when adjusted short you have dangling strap ends, so I just push the cord locks up and they stay next to the adjusters with the strap in a bow out of the way.

Lastly, the elastic shoulder padding on the strap is excellent, probably the best I have.

Full marks to Swarovski.

Hey CharleyBird. I'm glad like me you enjoy the fieldpro system. Their non field pro accessories are also very nice and comfortable to use.
And Tenex, the field pro system solves strap twists AND causes them. Haha. I guess its a wash on that one.

The only thing is the string! I seemed constantly in tangles with it I switched to strap lugs provided by Swaro service ( not included with my ELs or lost by me) and they are still self plumbing, I use the Optech straps, doubless there are better but I have the Optech stuff already.

Who uses the Objective Covers? Or go without?
I was using the objective covers until one of them spontaneously tore away on my 6 week old 8x42 NL. Swaro, of course, is sending me a new pair, but if the replacements don't last longer, I will likely go without them in the future.

When I bought my 8x32 FPs the salesman fitted the strap for me and asked if I would like him to remove the objective covers, rather than have them flapping about when I used them. I agreed and have never used them since.

I just plug the objective covers into the binoculars when I pack them into the case at the end of the day and remove them and leave them in the case in the car while I am using them.

Ron

On my CL 10x30 the studs of the FieldPro System came loose. Twice. The first time I caught the binoculars, the second time they fell on long gras. Now I expoxied the studs in. Problem solved.

However, I stand by my earlier comments buried somewhere in the threads on the forum: The FieldPro System is an overly complex solution to solve a non-existent problem.

Probably designed by a committee.

Hermann

Last edited:
On my CL 10x30 the studs of the FieldPro System came loose. Twice. The first time I caught the binoculars, the second time they fell on long gras. Now I expoxied the studs in. Problem solved.

However, I stand by my earlier comments buried somewhere in the threads on the forum: The FieldPro System is an overly complex solution to solve a non-existent problem.

Probably designed by a committee.

Hr
I probably would have used blue LockTite, instead of epoxy.

I'm a very active field researcher/photographer and use my EL Fieldpro for survey work dayil. I'm often bushwhacking in the dense woods and field grasses. It's very sandy and lots of opportunity to scratch my objectives. I flip the covers down when I use the 10x42's and then right back on. I hate the supplied clip on the bottom ones. I've been sent a new pair and that lasted 1 long trip. I NEED objective caps and they are the worst design I've ever had. They pop off frequently and I've replaced them with some flip up rifle scope covers. I had to trim the covers with a U shaped cut out where the front hinge goes. I then used some product GOOP a clear silicone like adhesive and put some top and bottom and now I've got a secure objective cover that flips up over the top of the bins out of the way.

Link to what I used-many others out there.

I agree with the OP. I enjoy the FP system features. It took two minutes to figure out how to get the straps attached, and that includes the 30-45 seconds I spent looking for a dropped piece. After that it was a breeze. For initial attachment, a clip would be just as quick, but then you have the awkward twisting and binding that happens from day to day as you move the binos and strap. This doesn't happen with the new system. I have the EL32 with the cord-strap and the CL30B with the flat nylon strap, both work wonderfully with the new attachment.

I like the Field Pro straps and the snap-in front end covers but then my birding experience doesn't qualify me as a Field Pro myself. Personally I'd prefer the Field Pro objective covers and rainguard for my x42 SLCs as well (final version to be produced) but usage isn't enough in my case to make these things an issue.

My favourite strap is the little cord on my green 8x20 Trinovid BCAs — the old, barred design. Its design or lack of it means it can never sit wrongly and it needs no adjustment; actually you can't adjust it. It has never worn down in any way that I can notice since new in the early 90s. Mind you, I know it wouldn't be comfortable on the glamour bottle bins.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back