• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

I like the look of this new 7x20 (1 Viewer)

CliveP

http://www.carson.com/binoculars-monoculars/compact/1605-tz-822#

I see Praktica do one also so it looks like something better in this small light class coming from China.

I really do rate my Carson 8x22 as a very small light pocket so I'm definitely interested in this. I find them more useful than the higher end 8x20's which really apart from waterproofing just aren't as good. Heavier and bulkier and more awkward to eyeposition I find the 8x20 roofs an inbetween and nowhere bin yet so many are bought and I have two but in the end I find my Vistron 8x25 way more useable if I want to move up from the Carson 8x22. Actually the Carson is almost the equal of the Vistron.

I like both my 8x20 roofs but there is a better way for sure.

Be great if anyone has one or tried one and could give the low down.

Binastro

This is likely to be good as the field is not stretched.

But they pinched the name from the Swiss Wild Falconer 98mm f/1.4 medium format lens.
Or possibly something even earlier.

CliveP

I now notice though that it is larger and heavier (~90 grams) than my 8x22 Scout.

I wonder why that is given it's a smaller objective?

Still, it might be a nice view. The eyepieces look better than the Scout and it's multicoated and bak4 against the Scout fully coated and BK7.

I'd say it's pretty new but we will be seeing more of it in several guises if it's any good.

I cleaned the objectives of my 7x18 MiniScout yesterday and then a I heard a rattle and thought one of the prisms had come loose so I ended up disassembling the whole thing thinking it was trash now. Turns out I had just loosened one of the rings holding in the objectives which must not have been very tight. Anyhow ended up reassembling it and giving it a collimation tuning and it seems to have improved slightly as I think it was a little out before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread