• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

I miss the information density of the old BirdForum. It had the best user interface of any online group I ever experienced. (1 Viewer)

Alexis Powell

Natural history enthusiast.
United States
RIP old BirdForum format. This new one is probably good for smartphones and people who can't handle having all the info in front of them, but it is a downgrade for me.

I despise conditional menus and information bubbles. Needing to "mouse over" things to see all information is annoying!

Is there any way to remove all the excess space between lines? I like to see as many thread titles per screen as possible!

RIP literate people who use computers instead of cell phones to access the internet!

Ugh. I loved the BirdForum user interface. I hope I'll manage to tolerate this new version. Not so sure. I may not be coming around here as often anymore.

Best wishes to the next generation.

--AP

Steve

Surfing
Staff member
United Kingdom
RIP old BirdForum format. This new one is probably good for smartphones and people who can't handle having all the info in front of them, but it is a downgrade for me.

I despise conditional menus and information bubbles. Needing to "mouse over" things to see all information is annoying!

Is there any way to remove all the excess space between lines? I like to see as many thread titles per screen as possible!

RIP literate people who use computers instead of cell phones to access the internet!

Ugh. I loved the BirdForum user interface. I hope I'll manage to tolerate this new version. Not so sure. I may not be coming around here as often anymore.

Best wishes to the next generation.

--AP
I miss our past version too.
So what do you two or anyone else miss, We are going to add as much of the old stuff as we can so start telling us what you would like to see please .

Microtus

Maryland USA (he/him)
Supporter
United States
I would like to see the number of posts by a user displayed as part of their profile, and the date they joined the Forum. That is very useful for the identification branch.

Also, thank you Steve, and Ollie, and everyone else, involved in the upgrade and in answering our questions about it.

Steve

Surfing
Staff member
United Kingdom
I would like to see the number of posts by a user displayed as part of their profile, and the date they joined the Forum. That is very useful for the identification branch.

Also, thank you Steve, and Ollie, and everyone else, involved in the upgrade and in answering our questions about it.
You can do this by mousing over the avatar of a member.

tperry

My bookmark in the former version took me into "unread posts" across all forums including Ruffled Feathers, I also saw the number of these unread posts displayed. After I had selectively read the posts, in threads of interest, I could choose "mark all posts as read" (or something akin to this) and the unread post counter obviously reverted to zero because if I went back into Birdforum straight away the counter would show zero or a very low number.
This suited me perfectly and I wonder if it is possible to replicate it in new Birdforum; I haven't discovered it so far.

Thanks, Tony

Steve

Surfing
Staff member
United Kingdom
My bookmark in the former version took me into "unread posts" across all forums including Ruffled Feathers, I also saw the number of these unread posts displayed. After I had selectively read the posts, in threads of interest, I could choose "mark all posts as read" (or something akin to this) and the unread post counter obviously reverted to zero because if I went back into Birdforum straight away the counter would show zero or a very low number.
This suited me perfectly and I wonder if it is possible to replicate it in new Birdforum; I haven't discovered it so far.

Thanks, Tony
Thanks Tony, will look at this and get back to you.

tenex

reality-based
Antarctica
Hi Alexis, this update mostly disgusts me too for the same reasons. Websites used to have an alternate dumbed-down version for smartphones, but at this point the "real" version is increasingly being abandoned and everyone has to make do with huge text, short lists, animated headers and popups, and other unnecessary garbage.

Firefox has a feature to reduce text size on a website, and that helps a bit. Please don't give up.

On the positive side, I gather the new site is handling (larger) images better.

Steve

Surfing
Staff member
United Kingdom
Hi Alexis, this update mostly disgusts me too for the same reasons.
Really ? You are disgusted that we move the site into the 21st century, and make it easier for people to access on the move with a Cell phone or tablet?
Your Disgusted that we made it quicker, easier to interact with other platforms, easier to back up so data isn't lost, gave members far more options to load video and photographs to the site, etc etc etc, maybe you were disgusted when man started flying or went to the moon ?

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
I still miss the Live View where you can see instantly what is said in a post and pick up the spammers more quickly.

Lisa W

Staff member
Supporter
First hats off to Ollie, Steve and the rest for the upgrade. I know it is a lot of work!

Question, what is the purpose of the “Latest Profile Posts” that show at the bottom of the screen? I’m sure there is a reason but can’t figure it out.

tenex

reality-based
Antarctica
Really ? You are disgusted that we move the site into the 21st century, and make it easier for people to access on the move with a Cell phone or tablet?
Hi Steve, as I said, I'm disgusted that a growing number of websites no longer bother to distinguish between devices being used, and now force people at a computer to use a touchscreen/smartphone style interface instead. I don't imagine you were given much choice...
I'll get used to it.

Edit: As I think about this I realize it's not just websites, but software also and even operating systems are increasingly designed this way. I just haven't updated lately, and resist change. Especially rapid constant change.

Last edited:

jmepler

It's just a flesh wound.

Thanks, Tony
I operated the same way you did. It still works the same way, but things are in different places.

Under the "What's new" pull-down at the top left of the page you can select "New posts". Alternatively, right below that is a "New posts" button which does the same thing. It can also be bookmarked if you wish.

To the right of the "New Posts" button is the "Mark forums read".

My only complaint is that I need to confirm that I want to mark all forums as read, two clicks instead of one.

tperry

I operated the same way you did. It still works the same way, but things are in different places.

Under the "What's new" pull-down at the top left of the page you can select "New posts". Alternatively, right below that is a "New posts" button which does the same thing. It can also be bookmarked if you wish.

My only complaint is that I need to confirm that I want to mark all forums as read, two clicks instead of one.
Thanks - I had been doing that but seem to be missing threads I used to see regularly; I'll eventually get more used to how everything now operates I expect.

I see some good new features such as "edit" and "like"

Tony

tperry

Thanks - I had been doing that but seem to be missing threads I used to see regularly; I'll eventually get more used to how everything now operates I expect.

I see some good new features such as "edit" and "like"

Tony

Thanks again I have deleted the "New Posts" bookmark and reset it and activated "Ruffled Feathers - now working okay!

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread