• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I need help ID'ing a bird call at night (1 Viewer)

Hello, are you able to identify the recorded bird call that I sometimes hear at night?

I asked a bird expert, and they said that it is probably a mating call, but I am wondering if someone would be able to identify it from the uploaded audio clip.

It may require an increase in volume, but there shouldn't be any startling sounds. Please remember to decrease your volume afterward. I live in Bermuda. I recorded this clip around 10 pm, so you hear a lot of tree frogs in the background. The call becomes more noticeable and frequent towards the end of the audio clip.

The times to listen out for are (0:10, 0:19, 0:23, 0:27, 0:30, 0:33, 0:36, 0:39, 0:43*). At the 0:43 mark the bird call is longer and prolonged.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Attachments

• Bird_call_3_at_night_03Dec20[1].mp3
    810.2 KB
Last edited:
Welcome to Birdforum!

Closest I can think of at the moment is perhaps American Oystercatcher, but it isn't a perfect match.

Thank you for the recommendation. I have added charts of common breeding birds and migratory land birds in Bermuda. Hopefully, this will help to narrow down the guess.

Attachments

• 20201204_095853.jpg
    20201204_095853.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20201204_095907.jpg
    20201204_095907.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Hi RisingPhoenix and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm sorry no-one has been able to help you so far (and I'll not be able to either!:(

You sure get some beautiful birds out there, judging by the species charts you've shown us.

Hopefully someone with the knowledge of what may be seen in Bermuda will be along soon.

If the bird expert could not identify it, I doubt that the majority of members here can do better with the recording provided. Are you certain it is a sound made by a bird? I can only suggest you try for a better quality recording and submit it again to another ornithologist experienced with the birds of Bermuda. Good luck.

Hi RisingPhoenix and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm sorry no-one has been able to help you so far (and I'll not be able to either!:(

You sure get some beautiful birds out there, judging by the species charts you've shown us.

Hopefully someone with the knowledge of what may be seen in Bermuda will be along soon.

Thank you! We are very fortunate here. I live near woodlands and coastline, and I get to see many types of birds. This time of year is mostly kiskadee's, bluebirds, cardinals, various sea birds, and once in a while I hear and see kingfishers and grosbeaks. I am still observing and learning. The bird charts and connecting with members from birding groups really helps out a lot.

If the bird expert could not identify it, I doubt that the majority of members here can do better with the recording provided. Are you certain it is a sound made by a bird? I can only suggest you try for a better quality recording and submit it again to another ornithologist experienced with the birds of Bermuda. Good luck.
Thank you for the response.

Yesterday I was in the yard near an area with groundcover, and I thought I heard the same call during the middle of the day. I can't recall ever hearing the call during the day, but since I am familiar with the call and curious to identify it, perhaps my attention is more attuned to hearing it.

If it's not a bird, I am wondering if it's a type of frog or insect. It's not like the usual tree frog whistling, but in this audio clip, you can hear more than one.

Any thoughts or pointers?

Attachments

• bird_call_5_at_night[1].mp3
    594.7 KB
My thought too, any tree frogs on Bermuda?

If I was in this position, I would try to locate the source of the sound by various ways of cautiously approaching the area, carefully and quietly getting closer. A ground bird would skulk away or flush and take flight. I'm uncertain as to the breeding season period out there but perhaps playing the recording back once or twice to solicit a response, might be productive.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back