• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

i need new binoculars (1 Viewer)

Prestdj

its good to be back
Ukraine
so after 31 years my old and well used plus loved Bausch and Lomb elites 8x42 have had there day, i still love them just feel they need updating with more a more modern, i do feel sad having to upgrade them as the view is stunning so natural but there tired and shabby, as im 50 now a new lighter pair would be easier to carry.
i have large hands being 6foot tall
ive hardly looked through any other binoculars in over 30 years its a bit daunting!!

i recently quit my job and got another straight away so the money from my old job of what i was due would pay for a new pair

i was thinking about the opticron aurora 8x42 which gives my price range

many thanks

darrell

Do NOT hesitate on the Aurora. I have used mine for a year and a bit now, and I regret nothing after field testing them against some major competition.

A solid 10/10 bin from me.

I'm six foot and size 11 gloves. The aurora is a perfect fit.

There's so many great bins out there in that price group.
All different, and everyone will shout up why theres' is best.
It's so personal, weight, handling, eye relief, type of use etc...
I bought some 8x56FL's.... incredible glass, but actually too big, and I didn't really use them in low light situations too often.... so they went.
My Swaro CL8x25's stayed as I use them lots though!
I chanced upon some Meopta 10x42's.... was not looking for either Meopta, or indeed the 10x42 format.... I generally like 8's....but they worked very well for me.
I'm also a huge Conquest fan..... great bins although I don't own them.... built like a tank, quite utilitarian.
But personally in that price range, warranted 2nd hand dealer stock (not ebay.... too risky) is worth a look.
Huge bang for your buck, but I also understand some folk have to have brand new..... nothing wrong with that either.

So many choices....... and choices are personal aren't they 🙂

As Rg548 says, there's a load of choice! I've had a go with the aurora's, they were good-i'm a bit of a high transmission junkie but they were very comparable to other roofs, they'll be a sea change in a good way from what your used to.

If you get yourself to a decent shop or trade show that has a variety of makes ideally including zeiss, swarro, Leica, and nikon you'll have a very enjoyable choice to make, there are also many other good makes too but if you don't try any of the above you may regret it. Definitely try them out though or you might not know what your missing. Also just before someone else jumps in, do try an image stabilised binocular.

They might be a bit small for you but if you want a lighter weight binocular then Swarovski 8x30 CL Companions are not much dearer than the Opticron.

I used to have a pair of Opticrons (can't remember which but similar mid-market model) but found the IQ a bit underwhelming, the Swaros were a revelation in comparison. However, I am a bit heavy on my gear, and ended up losing about 3 eye cups in the field, requiring the whole unit replacing - so perhaps they wouldn't last another 30 years. For that reason I passed them on to my partner, and now have a secondhand pair of Leica Ultravids (...also about £750) which seem to be able to cope with me. The other downside is they don't focus that closely, so not ideal for invertebrate ID if you need that capability. I'm also talking about the previous generation CLs, so maybe the new ones are more robust.

In the ~1k$ region, there are of course the Zeiss Conquest, and cheaper but likely also good, the Zeiss Terra. I have the Conquest 8x32 and Terra 8x25, and they are both incredibly sharp. My ding against the Conquest is that I don't like (rather: strongly dislike) the design of their objective covers, but the Terra has more traditional ones.

Or you could get Leica Trinovids; I love my Leica binoculars.

In the ~1k$ region, there are of course the Zeiss Conquest, and cheaper but likely also good, the Zeiss Terra. I have the Conquest 8x32 and Terra 8x25, and they are both incredibly sharp. My ding against the Conquest is that I don't like (rather: strongly dislike) the design of their objective covers, but the Terra has more traditional ones.

Or you could get Leica Trinovids; I love my Leica binoculars.
And there you go..... choices.... I love the objective covers on the conquest😅, once seated they never pop off, you just need to seat them down, preferably on a flat surface, but I found my palm was sufficient. Superb design in my experience!!!
Now.. my Meoptas covers are garbage, fall off at will, flap about and get in the way on the string thing....
But I also know someone on here thinks that THEY are a great design..... go figure:unsure::D(y)

..........If you get yourself to a decent shop or trade show that has a variety of makes ideally including zeiss, swarro, Leica, and nikon you'll have a very enjoyable choice to make, there are also many other good makes too but if you don't try any of the above you may regret it. Definitely try them out though or you might not know what your missing. Also just before someone else jumps in, do try an image stabilised binocular.
👍👍

im torn between kowa bd 8 x42 or celestron regal ff
You really just need to try some, it's like buying a car without driving it or shoes without wearing them. You need to see if they fit, work for your hand and face shape and if the view is one you like, this applies in all different price brackets, you can get an amazing set of bins for your budget and a phenomenal one second hand.

I've tried sooo many from all the different brands and like ones the best that i very much doubt would have ever been recommended to me. I know it's not as simple as reading reviews, getting opinions and buying online but it's very much worth it and a great experience in itself.

Don't be too worried about trying things a bit out of your price bracket either, I know there is a danger of ending up spending more than you'd like but it also means you can see which binoculars in your price bracket come closest to the best, and you never know you may find the ones you do like best second hand in good condition - my usual m.o - these things are built to last.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back