• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

I so hate Window10 (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Not sure about that KC. But have a look at installing Classic Shell.

That's what I have on my laptop and it allows you to run Windows in the old way, so you have a task bar at the bottom, a proper start button and can move your desk top icons around to suit.

OK I know the purists won't like it, as it's no longer supported. But it still works for me.

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
What is your problem? Windows 10 is different from 7 but has been around 6 years. Windows 7 hasn't been supported for over a year.

I'm running Windows 10 straight out of the box and I have a Start button, a taskbar at the bottom and can move my desktop icons around.

delia todd

Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
What is your problem? Windows 10 is different from 7 but has been around 6 years. Windows 7 hasn't been supported for over a year.

I'm running Windows 10 straight out of the box and I have a Start button, a taskbar at the bottom and can move my desktop icons around.
Oh? When did they do that. The last time I looked at the W10 desktop, I couldn't move the icons I needed on a regular basis to the far RH edge.... they just went back to the middle again! And there was no task bar either.

Guess I need to have another look.

gdhunter

Oh? When did they do that. The last time I looked at the W10 desktop, I couldn't move the icons I needed on a regular basis to the far RH edge.... they just went back to the middle again! And there was no task bar either.

Guess I need to have another look.
Delia:

I'm using two different versions of Windows 10 (Home on my desktop, Pro on my laptop). I have a few icons placed on the far right edge of each, and I have a taskbar on each. And believe me, that's not the result of some complicated workaround, because that would be beyond both my skills and my patience.

Gary H

delia todd

Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I had a look at the W10 desktop again last night.

OK I had the Task Bar with the Start button. But the desk top showed large thumbnails of the programmes I'd got open and I couldn't move them so I could see the edges and just click on them to activate..

And how do I get the small, shortcut icons of documents lined up down the RHS.

Attached are first the Classic Shell desktop that I'm used to and works how I need it. With all the short cuts in constant use lined up down the RHS, the three browsers I need to switch between quickly. One is my preferred Browser, Pale Moon, another is Firefox which what I use for WhatsApp.... (I can see straightaway if someone contacts me), but also useful for other things. The third is Thunderbird for handling my emails.

I'm clicking between these constantly.

There are number of other, lesser used short cuts which are placed strategically behind these browsers which I don't use quite so often.

The second one shows my screen on W10. How do I get the short cuts down the RHS.

Can I show the 'edges' of the three browsers? I can't move those large thumbnails.

You need to click on them to see the images properly.

Attachments

• Classic Shell desk top.jpg
    Classic Shell desk top.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Win 10 Desktop.jpg
    Win 10 Desktop.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 24

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
If you want to arrange icons on your desktop then first of all turn off "auto arrange". Right mouse on the desktop, then go to view, then go down to auto arrange icons and turn it off. You can then drag icons around the they will stay where you put them.

If you have full screen windows and you want to see to see the desktop press the Windows Key (between the left Ctrl and Alt) and D at the same time.

Essex Tern

🦆🥋🏃🏻‍♂️📷🎹🎸
Supporter
England
I personally remove the Task view button as I don’t like that, but I do use the app switcher, holding Alt and pressing tab between apps.

I also like Windows key and arrow key, to split windows on my screen, I find that very useful.

But yes I fully agree the functionality is still in Windows 10, once you get things as you like them, and know where to find the odd thing.

I wondered how long it would be before an Apple devotee suggested moving to Apple as a solution - Just another set of issues but you get to pay much more for the privilege - Just to balance - I hate Apple ;)

DMW

A Windows 10 update bricked my laptop last week. As usual, it disabled my WiFi but the update failed, so I am unable to go online to try to retry installing the upgrade. Thanks again Microsoft for beta testing your crappy OS on customers.

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
Unless you are part of a big corporation with an IT department running some bespoke software that won't run on Windows 10 you shouldn't really be using Windows 7. It is not supported and not updated.

Sure it looks a bit different but use it for a fortnight and that will pass.

Users who are viewing this thread