• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I so hate Window10 (1 Viewer)

Not sure about that KC. But have a look at installing Classic Shell.

That's what I have on my laptop and it allows you to run Windows in the old way, so you have a task bar at the bottom, a proper start button and can move your desk top icons around to suit.

OK I know the purists won't like it, as it's no longer supported. But it still works for me.

What is your problem? Windows 10 is different from 7 but has been around 6 years. Windows 7 hasn't been supported for over a year.

I'm running Windows 10 straight out of the box and I have a Start button, a taskbar at the bottom and can move my desktop icons around.

A lot of my customers complain about Windows 10 until tell then to right click the Windows logo (Start Button) to reveal all the items they can't find !

What is your problem? Windows 10 is different from 7 but has been around 6 years. Windows 7 hasn't been supported for over a year.

I'm running Windows 10 straight out of the box and I have a Start button, a taskbar at the bottom and can move my desktop icons around.
Oh? When did they do that. The last time I looked at the W10 desktop, I couldn't move the icons I needed on a regular basis to the far RH edge.... they just went back to the middle again! And there was no task bar either.

Guess I need to have another look.

Oh? When did they do that. The last time I looked at the W10 desktop, I couldn't move the icons I needed on a regular basis to the far RH edge.... they just went back to the middle again! And there was no task bar either.

Guess I need to have another look.
Delia:

I'm using two different versions of Windows 10 (Home on my desktop, Pro on my laptop). I have a few icons placed on the far right edge of each, and I have a taskbar on each. And believe me, that's not the result of some complicated workaround, because that would be beyond both my skills and my patience.

Gary H

I had a look at the W10 desktop again last night.

OK I had the Task Bar with the Start button. But the desk top showed large thumbnails of the programmes I'd got open and I couldn't move them so I could see the edges and just click on them to activate..

And how do I get the small, shortcut icons of documents lined up down the RHS.

Attached are first the Classic Shell desktop that I'm used to and works how I need it. With all the short cuts in constant use lined up down the RHS, the three browsers I need to switch between quickly. One is my preferred Browser, Pale Moon, another is Firefox which what I use for WhatsApp.... (I can see straightaway if someone contacts me), but also useful for other things. The third is Thunderbird for handling my emails.

I'm clicking between these constantly.

There are number of other, lesser used short cuts which are placed strategically behind these browsers which I don't use quite so often.

The second one shows my screen on W10. How do I get the short cuts down the RHS.

Can I show the 'edges' of the three browsers? I can't move those large thumbnails.

You need to click on them to see the images properly.

Attachments

• Classic Shell desk top.jpg
    Classic Shell desk top.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Win 10 Desktop.jpg
    Win 10 Desktop.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 29
The little icon that looks like a ladder to the right of the Start button - click that
er... yes! That's how I got the second image which I posted.

Are you suggesting something different should happen?

If you want to arrange icons on your desktop then first of all turn off "auto arrange". Right mouse on the desktop, then go to view, then go down to auto arrange icons and turn it off. You can then drag icons around the they will stay where you put them.

If you have full screen windows and you want to see to see the desktop press the Windows Key (between the left Ctrl and Alt) and D at the same time.

I personally remove the Task view button as I don’t like that, but I do use the app switcher, holding Alt and pressing tab between apps.

I also like Windows key and arrow key, to split windows on my screen, I find that very useful.

But yes I fully agree the functionality is still in Windows 10, once you get things as you like them, and know where to find the odd thing.

I wondered how long it would be before an Apple devotee suggested moving to Apple as a solution - Just another set of issues but you get to pay much more for the privilege - Just to balance - I hate Apple ;)

A Windows 10 update bricked my laptop last week. As usual, it disabled my WiFi but the update failed, so I am unable to go online to try to retry installing the upgrade. Thanks again Microsoft for beta testing your crappy OS on customers.

Unless you are part of a big corporation with an IT department running some bespoke software that won't run on Windows 10 you shouldn't really be using Windows 7. It is not supported and not updated.

Sure it looks a bit different but use it for a fortnight and that will pass.

Switch to a Mac. I hate windows too.
Agree 100%.

I've always had Windows computers, aside from a MacBook we had at work to run some specific software which wasn't available on Windows, and an old machine I brought back into use with Linux Mint. I used to make fun of Mac devotees and their walled garden cult.

The Windows 10 upgrade seemed to be really resource-hungry, laptops which were perfectly serviceable before slowed up badly - I wasn't keen to upgrade from Windows 7 but time had run out on support, and doubted my 2012 laptop would cope, despite its I7 processor.

While I was considering what to do during lockdown last year, I bought an old (late 2012) Mac mini and set it up as a music server running Audirvana software. In the process of setting it up I noticed how much faster and easier to use it was running what was then the most up to date iOS (Catalina), compared to my similar aged laptop.

I decided to take the plunge earlier this year and buy a new Mac mini for work with an M1 chip - a bit of a leap of faith as I know not all software runs well on the new chip yet, but it was cheap relative to the Intel versions (about £750 I recall) and much cheaper than the £1.4k or so I paid for a high-spec Windows laptop back in 2012. It runs Microsoft 365 with complete compatibility between colleagues running Windows versions; it runs QGIS as well as the Windows versions (i.e. with the odd crash but mostly flawless), and Scythebill. The only issue I had was the NTFS formatted hard drive which mirrored our work server (for use at home during lockdown) wouldn't read, but that was solved by transferring files onto a new external drive; when I took it to the office it recognised the NAS drive and the network printer straightaway.

For me there is only one program which I will miss, a little utility called Exif Extractor, which I use to take location data from photos (ironically) from my work iPhone and make a CSV file which I can then plot in QGIS. I'll have to use it on one of the work Windows machines in future, or learn how to use what appear to be either more complex or less functional Mac alternatives.

I fully understand the reluctance to enter the Mac walled garden, but if you're getting frustrated by Windows 10 it is really worth considering.

I changed from Windows to Apple in 2010 and have never looked back. It was very easy to make the change; Apple is very easy to learn and to use. Everyone in our family uses Apple - desktop, MacBooks, iPads and iPhones and wouldn't consider changing. I used to be cynical about Apple lovers until I made the change. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back