• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I think this is a Hermit Thrush? (1 Viewer)

piclady632

I saw this bird in my backyard in New Jersey. I've never seen one before so it was very exciting. Did I get the right ID? Thanks

Attachments

• bbth.JPG
    bbth.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 188
  • bbth2.JPG
    bbth2.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 169
I dunno, this looks to me like a fledgling Brown Thrasher just out of the nest. The beak looks a little heavy for a Thrush. The stubby tail certainly can throw someone off.

I'd say if it was any thrush it'd be a Wood Thrush - body feathers are too red for a Hermit. But after a closer look, I agree with TupeloN8 on Brown Thrasher fledgling - note the black and white wingbars visible in both pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back