• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

I want to create the most amazing bird, But i need your help (1 Viewer)

EddieF

United States
I am writing a book and want to create a bird one that is my one of my hero's. BUT, I need to make them (correct) I know all birds are different and depending on their weight, (everything) Is their wing span. Does anyone know, if there is such a table, WHAT their height, length and weight would determine what their wingspan ratio would be? I need this!!! I have many birds in my book, but i need too make them real. Not just fantasy.

EddieF

United States
Also, I'm making my characters from multiple endangered species as well. So if anyone has an endangered bird that is needed for people to hear about or an extinct bird we need to love and inform people about. PLEASE let me know!

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
There isn't a straightforward correlation between size and wing span. The habit and habitat of the bird plays a large part. Long range foraging seabirds will have long thin wings whereas woodland birds will have shorter, broader wings.

The BTO Birdfacts site has lots of data on British birds.

EddieF

United States
Understand. This bird holds the energy of life (meaning oxygen) When it flaps its wing, the oxygen forces into the life under him/her ( animal, plant, water life) below it. It lives and its habitat is the world it lives on. So a bird, and its habitat is the world. Great distance immense power

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe

Alexander Stöhr

Hello Eddi,
I dont know, if this does help with your inital question, but try this:
Its in german, but when playing around with it, maybe it helps you getting a feeling for buoyancy, which plays an important role in flight and aerodynamics

Helpful, too?

Welcome to birdforum!

EddieF

United States
Hello Eddi,
I dont know, if this does help with your inital question, but try this:
Its in german, but when playing around with it, maybe it helps you getting a feeling for buoyancy, which plays an important role in flight and aerodynamics

Helpful, too?

Welcome to birdforum!
That was an amazing presentation. Thank you so very much. I just learned a lot more than I knew. I will definitely be using this and will be able to do more research.
Thanks again :) Eddie

EddieF

United States
There isn't a straightforward correlation between size and wing span. The habit and habitat of the bird plays a large part. Long range foraging seabirds will have long thin wings whereas woodland birds will have shorter, broader wings.

The BTO Birdfacts site has lots of data on British birds.
Very cool! I will be digging in this site. There is a lot of information here.
Thanks Mono!
Eddie

EddieF

United States
More on what affects wing shape here...
This will be my go to site for my creation! Wow! Thanks so very much!!!! This will help immensely.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread