• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Ice inside a scope? (1 Viewer)

mtn

... winging it ....
Has anyone else ever experienced this?

IMG_20201225_135041.jpg

Just took my scope out for about 15 minutes (~20 deg F, snowy and windy) and when I was getting ready to come back in I noticed ice crystals on the inside of the objective lens. I set the scope back on the tripod and looked through and did not notice anything obvious in terms of impact on image quality. After a few minutes back inside the house, the ice inside the scope disappeared. Not sure if this is something to worry about?

Thanks for your thoughts.
-Daniel

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
Should not happen in a gas ( nitrogen ) purged modern spotting scope - confirms that there is moisture within.....quite surprised you didnt notice anything obvious in the image. I experienced something similar in a Kowa TSN 3 many years ago.

Reactions: mtn

jring

Hi,

yes, it shouldn't happen on the back element of a nitrogen purged scope... Maybe ask Meopta support about it...

Joachim

Reactions: mtn

mtn

... winging it ....
Should not happen in a gas ( nitrogen ) purged modern spotting scope - confirms that there is moisture within.....quite surprised you didnt notice anything obvious in the image. I experienced something similar in a Kowa TSN 3 many years ago.
May have been a bit hard to say with all the snow everywhere and the fact that I was freezing and ready to get inside (I didn't look for too long). Supposed to be cold again tomorrow so I will dress better and test it out again.

Thank you both for your replies.

mtn

... winging it ....
Funny enough:

IMG_20201225_170612.jpg

Same thing happened with my SLC 8x30s, this was after about 2 minutes outside (it was very clearly apparent as a haze in the left eye when trying to view some geese about 50 meters away). My EL 8.5s were outside for a couple of longer (~30 min) stints with no issue. Now tempted to test all of the optics in the house...

Last edited:

mtn

... winging it ....
Took my old Fieldscope ED3A and Leica 7x42s out in 9*F this am to see if any ice occurred, no problems there. Repeated with the Meostar Scope with similar results.
IMG_20201226_081626.jpg

Having dealt with Swaro service in the past I'm sure it will be pretty simple to call them and send the bins in for service. Meopta USA's website outlines a pretty simple process, I will reach out to them next week... Hopefully it's an easy process. Really, really impressed with the view from the S2.

Cheers

etudiant

Supporter
Has anyone else ever experienced this?

View attachment 1360489

Just took my scope out for about 15 minutes (~20 deg F, snowy and windy) and when I was getting ready to come back in I noticed ice crystals on the inside of the objective lens. I set the scope back on the tripod and looked through and did not notice anything obvious in terms of impact on image quality. After a few minutes back inside the house, the ice inside the scope disappeared. Not sure if this is something to worry about?

Thanks for your thoughts.
-Daniel
It is an indication that the scope is no longer sealed, so outside air and moisture have leaked in, replacing the previous dry nitrogen or argon.
I've had that happen to me after repair work, replacing all the seals airtight on optics is laborious and it only takes one leak to compromise the whole.
I've often thought that the WW2 approach of fitting dessicant cartridges was much more sensible, it minimize the need for super precise fitting and one could always swap out the saturated cartridge for a fresh one.

Users who are viewing this thread