• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Iceland - 22nd March 2013 (1 Viewer)

Allen

All

Having booked a long weekend to see the Northern Lights and other natural wonders, I have a spare day on Friday 22nd March to myself but alas no hire car as on a budget. Ideally I'd like to try and see Harlequin, Barrows Goldeneye or Gyr while in Iceland so wondered if any local birders might be willing to assist in this endeavour - any fuel costs happily contributed to :)

Thanks

Nohatch

Mad scientist
Are you sure you can't afford a car? You can get a small one (Yaris or so) for like 50 euro a day - trust me it's worth it! With a car you could do the Reykjanes peninsula (from Reykjavik) for Harlequin Duck and Gyrfalcon, Thingvellir lake for Barrow's Goldeneye and the rest of the Golden Circle while you're at it. Much cheaper than joining a tour and unless there's fresh snow the drive is not a problem.

N

Edward

Umimmak
Hi Allen

Gyr Falcons can be seen in Reykjavík in winter. I saw one half an hour ago when I popped out for lunch and it landed on the building opposite my work. There are always a few around in winter, just a matter of luck. You can probably see Harlequin by public transport at Kjalarnes which is a small village 45-minute bus ride (lot of of stops) north of Reykjavík. They are often in the bay Hofsvík to the south of Kjalarnes or in rocky areas around this small pensinsula. There are regular buses. I haven't been birding there for a while but I always used to see Harlequins there when I did go. Gyr could easily occur here too.
Here's the bus company's website
http://s.is/journeyplanner/enterJourneyPlan.do?hss=R793F48882173
and if you choose live map and drag the map north of Reykajvík then you can see the bay Hofsvik very easily.

Barrow's Goldeneye is more problematic by public transport I'm afraid although they can be seen 50 minutes from the city.

E

Allen

Edward

Thanks for the info....are taxi costs expensive in Iceland if I wanted to try Kjalarnes without all the bus stops?

meetmeatthebend

Birding Zombie
Hi Allan,

Old Birders Don't Die... Is this your own quote and if not where did it come from? Would like to use it on my blog.

MarshBoy

Users who are viewing this thread