• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Iceland (Thayer's) Gull? Sparks NV USA (1 Viewer)

Birds4Kathy

Today (Dec 30, 2020) I went to a local lake named Sparks Marina. This lake attracts hundreds and sometimes thousands of gulls. The predominant species this time of year are RIng-billed and California Gulls along with a few Herring Gulls. Recently a couple of Iceland (Thayer's) Gulls have shown up in town including one report yesterday at Sparks Marina. Several photos were posted with this report and the gull which I found and photographed today looks very much like the gull photos posted on ebird. Enclosed is my photo. Is this likely to be a first winter Iceland (Thayer's) gull? Any insights into the traits that led to your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kathy
Icelandic gull small.jpg

tom baxter

Yes, Thayer’s Gull. The small head, small dark bill, overall brown wash and neatly checkered coverts and pink legs all agree with Thayer’s Iceland Gull.

Users who are viewing this thread