• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland (Thayer's) Gull? Sparks NV USA (1 Viewer)

Birds4Kathy

Today (Dec 30, 2020) I went to a local lake named Sparks Marina. This lake attracts hundreds and sometimes thousands of gulls. The predominant species this time of year are RIng-billed and California Gulls along with a few Herring Gulls. Recently a couple of Iceland (Thayer's) Gulls have shown up in town including one report yesterday at Sparks Marina. Several photos were posted with this report and the gull which I found and photographed today looks very much like the gull photos posted on ebird. Enclosed is my photo. Is this likely to be a first winter Iceland (Thayer's) gull? Any insights into the traits that led to your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kathy
Icelandic gull small.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back