• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

ID Appreciated (1 Viewer)

PaulCountyDurham

United Kingdom
I'm pretty confident the first photo is a redwing, and I'd like to know whether or not I'm looking at a female. How do I tell the difference ( I can't see a great deal of difference looking at pictures on line)?

In terms of the ducks, these were taken in County Durham on a small pond where I went to pick up some wreaths. These clearly aren't your average coloured ducks 'round these parts so I've no idea how they made it to the pond nor what the owner of the garden centre has been importing or breeding. Is one of the birds in the picture a female widgeon?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Redwing (2).JPG
    Redwing (2).JPG
    793.9 KB · Views: 38
  • P1000891 (3).JPG
    P1000891 (3).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • P1000896 (2).JPG
    P1000896 (2).JPG
    734.4 KB · Views: 38

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Europe
Redwing canโ€™t really be sexed unless you hear the male sing. The black and white duck is a domestic mallard

Joern Lehmhus

Fulvous whistling duck Dendrocygna bicolor on the second picture, with a color variant mallard in the foreground (with some gense of a domestic duck probably)

PaulCountyDurham

United Kingdom
Redwing canโ€™t really be sexed unless you hear the male sing. The black and white duck is a domestic mallard

Thanks Deb.

I see a few redwings in the same location but I never hear them sing, 'possibly the time of day I go down there. As for the black and white duck, yes, I thought the shape of a mallard, and looking at the picture of the two ducks; the one I initially thought was closest to a female wigeon is not too far off the shape of a mallard either. 'Not sure what is going on with the top duck in the photo of the two ducks.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Europe
Thanks Deb.

'Not sure what is going on with the top duck in the photo of the two ducks.
Joern has identified that for you.

They are commonly kept in collections so it would be an escape. The mallard below it might have a few leucistic feathers - I am on a mobile screen so the images are a bit small to make out for me.
Itโ€™s a bit early to hear Redwing sing but come February, early March, you will start to hear them making a sub-song which they will use on migration before arriving on territory where the males start to sing proper.

Users who are viewing this thread