• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID - Bird flying over the sea (1 Viewer)

Miguel Berkemeier

Attachments

• IMG_7699.JPG
    IMG_7699.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_7703.JPG
    IMG_7703.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_7707.JPG
    IMG_7707.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_7710.JPG
    IMG_7710.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 108
  • frames.jpg
    frames.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 133
Its flying like an Eleonora's, the wing looks "long handed" and its the time for them down the west coast of Portugal. Just saying ;)

Looking at the first photo it seems a classic Eleonora's silhouette to me.

Agree with you Simon. The first pic looks very good for Eleonora's (got that feeling independently from your post): the dark underwing coverts, contrasting with the paler bases to the flight feathers visible there are probably more than a mere impression or a photographic artifact. Together with the super long wings that's what allows ID even from a very long range. I wouldn't call it a confirmed observation, but I'd say it's most likely one.

Thanks a lot to everyone!
Considering the portuguese species the only possibility beyond Eleonorae is subbuteo, right?
And did you watch the video? I think that watching the first video in slow motion is very enlightening, I can upload the video again in youtube originally in slow motion if you think that it's better.

For me its no subbuteo, their "hand" is a noticeable bit shorter (and body seems to me a little less stocky than an Eleonora's). Eleonora's is longer winged, which often creates a narrower looking wing. I can perfectly understand why our friend Jean immediately thought Cory's Shearwater, really - there is a remarkable similarity in "jizz" at the angle of your first posted photo. On the subject of seabirds and falcons; I have sometimes said "Bulwer's Petrel" is the Eleonora's of the sea" ;)

By the way, an Eleonora's appeared in Sagres today - could even be your bird |=)|

Last edited:
For me its no subbuteo, their "hand" is a noticeable bit shorter (and body seems to me a little less stocky than an Eleonora's). Eleonora's is longer winged, which often creates a narrower looking wing. I can perfectly understand why our friend Jean immediately thought Cory's Shearwater, really - there is a remarkable similarity in "jizz" at the angle of your first posted photo. On the subject of seabirds and falcons; I have sometimes said "Bulwer's Petrel" is the Eleonora's of the sea" ;)

By the way, an Eleonora's appeared in Sagres today - could even be your bird |=)|
I have to admit that at the first sight I thought in Bulwer's petrel :-O and I said to myself that if that bird is a seabird he only could be that species. But fastly I understood that he only could be a falcoon

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back