• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Bird in Leeds, England (1 Viewer)

EmilyKate

England
I’m sure this is a very obvious one - but can anyone tell me what bird this is please? A warbler of sorts, I suspect?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 1AC0445E-AD12-4B0E-A324-DC556D92CB09.jpeg
    1AC0445E-AD12-4B0E-A324-DC556D92CB09.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 140
I’m sure this is a very obvious one - but can anyone tell me what bird this is please? A warbler of sorts, I suspect?

Thank you in advance!
A warbler for sure, but which one is the question. Looks like a juvenile sedge warbler? Other people will join and contribute to help narrow it down.

Hello Emily,

I agree with you and Ev, its a Warbler. Heavy worn, ruffled and damaged plumage (caused by some disease?) results in an unusual look (among them a strange, long bill caused by missing feathers on the head).

Its either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler for me.
I find the details on the wing hard to judge, but darkish legs, quite short pp seems better for a Chiffchaff. I struggle to judge number of emarginations and I hope for more experienced members to jump in. But on a good screen and comparing google images I thik this bird has 4 of them, 3 evident and one faint one, which would support Chiffchaff.
But details of wings is one of the features (among many) I learn from others here and elsewhere. Thanks!

Was the picture taken recently?

A warbler for sure, but which one is the question. Looks like a juvenile sedge warbler? Other people will join and contribute to help narrow it down.
I can't make this into a sedge warbler (e.g. colours wrong, no clear white supercilium like that species etc).

If forced I'd go for willow warbler. I'd point to the overall greenish/yellowish colour, fairly long primary projection, and fairly obvious yellowish supercilium.

Edit: I think I can see 4 emargination too as Alex has just said. That means that this must be chiffchaff (primary projection is long for chiffchaff I think but they vary somewhat)

Hello Emily,

I agree with you and Ev, its a Warbler. Heavy worn, ruffled and damaged plumage (caused by some disease?) results in an unusual look (among them a strange, long bill caused by missing feathers on the head).

Its either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler for me.
I find the details on the wing hard to judge, but darkish legs, quite short pp seems better for a Chiffchaff. I struggle to judge number of emarginations and I hope for more experienced members to jump in. But on a good screen and comparing google images I thik this bird has 4 of them, 3 evident and one faint one, which would support Chiffchaff.
But details of wings is one of the features (among many) I learn from others here and elsewhere. Thanks!

Was the picture taken recently?
I would’ve thought that the eye stripe is too strong too be either species. Plus the brown on the flanks is slightly off for chiffy or WW.

I can't make this into a sedge warbler (e.g. colours wrong, no clear white supercilium like that species etc).

If forced I'd go for willow warbler. I'd point to the overall greenish/yellowish colour, fairly long primary projection, and fairly obvious yellowish supercilium.

Edit: I think I can see 4 emargination too as Alex has just said. That means that this must be chiffchaff (primary projection is long for chiffchaff I think but they vary somewhat)
Interesting - the bill just doesn't look right to be for Willow or Chiffchaff. Leg colour points to Chiffchaff or Sedge, and looking again there does seem to be yellow...

I'm not sure...

It's a chiffchaff. Head pattern and general plumage tones all wrong for a sedge warbler, and much better for a phyllosc. 4 emarginations makes it a chiff. The bill looks long as it appears to be missing some feathers at the base.
Yes looking again your're right - I think the feather loss is making the stripe above the eye look broader too.

I too can't see Sedge Warbler, this must be a phyllosc. I'd have said Willow Warbler, but last time I said that it turned out to be Chiffchaff (emarginations in these warblers being beyond my "skill set," or whatever the latest expression is. I understand what emarginations are, it's the practical application of that knowledge that's the tricky bit).

Chiffchaff for me too, although a very rough looking one!! Short primary projection, emargination on the 6th primary and dark legs. Although the supercilium is quite distinct looking as in a Willow Warbler, i suspect the light is causing this.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back