• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID from call- Kadyny (Northern Poland) - 05/06/22 (1 Viewer)

_pauls

I was in northern Poland over the weekend, staying in a hotel in woodland in Kadyny not far from Gdansk. Lots of birds around but one calling that I never saw and had a distinctive call that I didn't recognise (although I am very bad at recognising bird calls!).

I made a recording on my phone which was very faint and I've boosted the sound as best I can but its not great - can anyone make out what it might be?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Bird call.mp3
    90.7 KB
My first thought was a woodpecker of some sort. I did see a fleeting glimpse of a woodpecker the next morning from the car... Black and white spotted but didnt look like a GSW (looked chunkier from a very quick view) . Not sure what other woodpeckers are in that area.

Dear i
Maybe you could give us birdnet's suggestion

I've just checked it out - White-tailed eagle with a 100% probability. However that's absolute garbage!

Which is why I posted it on this forum rather than using an app or website!

I would definitely have recognised if it was a white-tailed eagle (I've spent a lot of time at falconry centres), plus it was coming from within trees surrounding the hotel and while there are white-tailed eagles in the immediate vicinity this was clearly something much smaller.

Last edited:
Sounds like Green Woodpecker to me too. Both Black and Green can give some varied calls that can overlap a bit in speed / duration but the tone sounds more like Green...

So, such was my train of thought (that is, before I knew it was supposed to be a small bird):

I saw that the suggestions were varied, so I wanted to see which one would be supported by machine learning. Then I found out that BirdNET (probably the most accurate among bird call recognisers but still, obviously, fallible) was 100% sure that it was a white-tailed eagle and assigned only negligible probabilites to other species, and I thought it interesting. I listened to the white-tailed eagle's calls from the Macaulay Library and xeno-canto, and, to my (again) untrained ear, they sounded similar, and the spectrograms also looked similar (like in this recording). The syllables of the recording in question have the higher-frequency components blurred out, which could indicate distance, but that would be fine because white-tailed eagles are high fliers. The location also seemed about right in terms of habitat.

I didn't give BirdNET's suggestion straight away because it takes an instant to check it when one has the file downloaded, and I included the link. I assumed that people would want to see the spectrogram before they pass judgment, and it requires downloading, but that's not necessarily true. Maybe I should have done it, though; it would've saved the ambiguity and some space, too.

So, such was my train of thought (that is, before I knew it was supposed to be a small bird):

I saw that the suggestions were varied, so I wanted to see which one would be supported by machine learning. Then I found out that BirdNET (probably the most accurate among bird call recognisers but still, obviously, fallible) was 100% sure that it was a white-tailed eagle and assigned only negligible probabilites to other species, and I thought it interesting. I listened to the white-tailed eagle's calls from the Macaulay Library and xeno-canto, and, to my (again) untrained ear, they sounded similar, and the spectrograms also looked similar (like in this recording). The syllables of the recording in question have the higher-frequency components blurred out, which could indicate distance, but that would be fine because white-tailed eagles are high fliers. The location also seemed about right in terms of habitat.

I didn't give BirdNET's suggestion straight away because it takes an instant to check it when one has the file downloaded, and I included the link. I assumed that people would want to see the spectrogram before they pass judgment, and it requires downloading, but that's not necessarily true. Maybe I should have done it, though; it would've saved the ambiguity and some space, too.
Sorry I didn't mean to sound harsh in dismissing the suggestion of an online tool, but I have some experience in working in a similar technical field (albeit a few years ago now) and I know how unreliable and difficult an area it is.

The thing is... when I run that file through BirdNET first time it said 100% chance white-tailed eagle, but then subsequently the exact same file gave a very different set of odds, although still favouring WTE. I think the recording is just not good enough to work from.

For me the call in the recording does sound to some extent similar to the start of the white-tailed eagle call but then with the eagle (in my experience) it becomes a more drawn out call which doesn't happen in the case of this bird. Having heard the bird calling several times over the course of 5 minutes it definitely sounded like it was from a small to mid size bird (I realise I didn't put this in my description). For what its worth I did see two white-tailed eagles within a mile of the hotel.

Having listened to the recordings on the Collins Bird Guide app I'm sure it is a woodpecker but I can't decide between black or green.

Last edited:
It's very fine by me. I just wanted to say I didn't palm off a random suggestion without trying to check it to the extent that I was able to. Thank you for the ID tips; I'll consider them in the future if I get to hear something similar. (y)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back