• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID from sound/description. N.Sweden (1 Viewer)

tarzzz

Sweden
Hello.

Would be VERY greatful if someone coul'd point me in the right direction on this one.

Reminds of Willow Warbler, but with a voice like Thrush.

The strophes were about the half of a Willow Warblers.

The pauses about 15 seks. between strophes. So, the pauses are NOT correct in my recording !

I saw it a few times and it was singing from branches at the ground, and not from up in the trees, like Willow Warblers and many others do.

It was in dry Birchforest, no water, no bushes of Willow or Sallow. Almost no bushes at all.

There were a lot of WWs around, singing, but this one was very different.

Size, something like a Reed Bunting.

In North of Sweden.

Thanks !

\surfan

Attachments

• edit.mp3
    204.5 KB · Views: 51
Very intresting to me too ! Went back with better equipment for a better recording, but it's so windy, so impossible.

It didn't sound so far away from an Azure tit. Sad with such a bad recording, but it was too windy. The recording sound more of a WW than the bird did IRL.

Maybe a new try tomorrow.

Thanks for the answer.

My best guess would be a variation of Willow Warbler song. The first few notes sound like Willow Warbler, but after that the bird "loses tone." But if you saw the bird and it wasn´t a WW I´m out of options. An interesting song anyway!

My best guess would be a variation of Willow Warbler song. The first few notes sound like Willow Warbler, but after that the bird "loses tone." But if you saw the bird and it wasn´t a WW I´m out of options. An interesting song anyway!

I agree. It starts up much like a WW, but then loses it. And it gets "Thrushy" and much too short for a "normal" WW.

I just saw it very fast a few times. But can't remeber seeing a WW singing from the ground.

Maybe an ill WW ?

Thanks !

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back