• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

ID geese in flight from call, Chester UK (1 Viewer)

bartolli

Another Goose question!!!

Now we are back in the season of goose fly-overs, I get frustrated that I cant id the big flocks that fly over us most days. Generally in the morning they are heading south-ish and in the evening some fly back northwest-ish, maybe back to the dee estuary where I know there are loads of Canada and pinkfoots at the moment.

I've tried listening to the flight calls on xc, but struggle to pin them down.

The attached is a converted mp3 file of this morning's skein of 300ish which were flying towards Wrexham (are Wrexham playing at home today??)

Anyway, I think they are pinkfeet, can anyone confirm? And does anyone have any useful tips on identifying these flocks?

Ta!

Attachments

• geese.mp3
    822.7 KB · Views: 255

Andy Hurley

All nations have the right to govern themselves
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
These sound more like Greylag to me. Not as harsh as the Pinkfeet on XC. I have notoriously bad hearing though, so I'd wait for others.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread