• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Id Help - Alibag, Maharashtra, India - 2 (1 Viewer)

mihir

Request Id help for these birds photographed in Alibag, Maharashtra, India in this November

1)
2) & 3)
4) Heuglin's gull?
5)

Attachments

• _DSC7865.jpg
    _DSC7865.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 55
  • _DSC7909.jpg
    _DSC7909.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 46
  • _DSC7917.jpg
    _DSC7917.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 40
  • _DSC8088.jpg
    _DSC8088.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 48
  • _DSC8128.jpg
    _DSC8128.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 55

dwatsonbirder

1) Greater sandplover 2 + 3) Plain prinia 5) Lesser sandplover (center and right) Kentish plover (rear left) Terek sandpiper (rear). Unsure if the bird asleep to the left can be identified as the bill isn't visible, but feels like a Greater sp.

lou salomon

the birdonist
4 is very likely a Steppe Gull (Larus (fuscus) barabensis, since tundra breeding 1cy heuglini hardly replaces such an amount of scapulars in autumn.

johnallcock

#1 looks like another Lesser Sand Plover to me, based on head and bill shape, white forehead, obvious supercilium and breast band. I agree with Lessers in #5 and I'm also unsure about the bird on the left.

Could #2-3 be a Rufous-fronted Prinia? The forehead seems quite rufous, to the extent that I had to double-check it wasn't a Tailorbird.

andyb39

I'm not 100% sure about the Sand Plover in no.1 - the bill looks a little long but it's also a bit stubby and the effect could be due to the angle. The head is certainly rounded and the legs black.

I think John is right about the Prinia - as well as the rufous forehead, it lacks an obvious supercilium and the plumage is quite a rich brown, especially on the flight feathers and tail.

Andy Adcock

England
I'm not 100% sure about the Sand Plover in no.1 - the bill looks a little long but it's also a bit stubby and the effect could be due to the angle. The head is certainly rounded and the legs black.

I think John is right about the Prinia - as well as the rufous forehead, it lacks an obvious supercilium and the plumage is quite a rich brown, especially on the flight feathers and tail.
One of the bigger looking Lessers for me, never seen black legs on a Greater.

johnallcock

You're a lot more confident on leg colour than I am - I thought they looked dark because of the lighting. Black legs are usually more of a breeding season feature aren't they?

Andy Adcock

England
You're a lot more confident on leg colour than I am - I thought they looked dark because of the lighting. Black legs are usually more of a breeding season feature aren't they?
Not as far as I know John, if you chance on a bird with really, black legs, it,ts usually a Lesser I think.

Users who are viewing this thread