• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id Help - Alibag, Maharashtra, India - 3 (1 Viewer)

mihir

India
Request id help for these birds photographed this month. If you can help with pointers for differentiating between Kentish, Greater-Sand and Lesser-Sand plovers it would be great.
1) Are Heuglin and Steppe both present in this photo?
2) Dunlin?
3) Great Knot?
4)
5)

Attachments

• _DSC8096.jpg
    _DSC8096.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 52
  • _DSC8168.jpg
    _DSC8168.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 58
  • _DSC8212.jpg
    _DSC8212.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 60
  • _DSC8246.jpg
    _DSC8246.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 59
  • _DSC8251.jpg
    _DSC8251.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 48
1. mantle colour in all adult and subadult large gulls is about the same and all 1cy have some scaps replaced, so, i would call them all barabensis.
2. little stint
3. yes, great knot (please report the leg flag, don't know the project, but maybe someone else can tell)
4. and 5. both look like lesser sand plovers to me.

Last edited:
1. mantle colour in all adult and subadult large gulls is about the same and all 1cy have some scaps replaced, so, i would call them all barabensis.
2. little stint
3. yes, great knot (please report the leg flag, don't know the project, but maybe someone else can tell)
Thanks. Is there a place where tagged birds are reported?

Thanks. Is there a place where tagged birds are reported?
Hi mihir

You can report your observations to the IWSG who keep the database for marked waders

The database is here but it is a bit tricky to use and you need the correct colour combinations to search

If you canโ€™t find the flag marked bird on the database there is an email address on the link above that I would suggest you email your images to with location and date of observation.

Hope that helps ๐Ÿ‘

2. little stint
#5 has a white collar, Kentish Plover for me.

Hi mihir

You can report your observations to the IWSG who keep the database for marked waders

The database is here but it is a bit tricky to use and you need the correct colour combinations to search

If you canโ€™t find the flag marked bird on the database there is an email address on the link above that I would suggest you email your images to with location and date of observation.

Hope that helps ๐Ÿ‘

The leg band report form of the Australasian Wader Study Group should be the address to report it... would be nice to keep us updated when you find out where it was flagged (y)
Have reported it to both the groups. Will update once I hear from them.

Have received an update on the flagging as below

Location banded: 12163F (Yalu Jiang Nature Reserve, Liaoning Province, China)
Approximate coordinates: 39deg 49min, 124deg 4min Flag combination: Green/Orange

Sighting details:
Species: Great Knot (Calidris tenuirostris)
Observer: Mihir Joshi
Sighting location: Akshi Beach, Alibag, Maharashtra , India (18deg 37min 35min, 72deg 53min 4min)
Date: 09/11/2020
Flag(s) LEFT leg: metal band on tibia above nothing/unknown on tarsus
Flag(s) RIGHT leg: green flag on tibia above orange flag on tibia

The re-sighting distance was approximately 5410 km, with a bearing of 260 degrees, from the marking location.

Last edited:
Nice find indeed. Was the ringing date provided as well. Would be interesting to know as well...
Because it's a plain flag, it won't be possible to know the ringing date. The colour scheme tells you the location where it was ringed, but there could be many individuals from the same location with the same colour combination.
Some locations use engraved flags now, which makes it possible to recognise individuals in the field.

I would say all of them are Heuglin's, with the exception of the rightmost first cycle bird.
They clearly show later moult than Steppe, and some show head/neck streaking that looks too strong.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back