• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Id Help - Bhigvan, Near Pune, Maharashtra, India (juveniles) - 3 (1 Viewer)

mihir

India
Request id help for these birds photographed in June.

Attachments

• _MJP2424.jpg
    _MJP2424.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 25
  • _MJP2964.jpg
    _MJP2964.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 30
  • _MJP3215.jpg
    _MJP3215.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 28
  • _MJP3262.jpg
    _MJP3262.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 28
  • _MJP3341.jpg
    _MJP3341.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 25

Grahame Walbridge

3rd looks like it may be a pratincole chick. Maybe Oriental Pratincole?
Agree 1,2,5 are Red-wattled Lapwing.
4 looks like a Charadrius, probably another Little Ringed Plover
Oriental Pratincole doesn't breed in the subcontinent John. Only resident Glareola is Small and I don't think its fits File:(3 5) A Small Pratincole chick hiding with its eyes closed. (49893978768).jpg - Wikimedia Commons-not sure what is other than agree it's not another Red-wattled Lapwing.

Grahame.

Grahame Walbridge

Apologies to John, yes of course it does! According to Rasmussen, as well as Gujarat also in Indian Punjab, Haryana, NE Maharastra, NW Andhra, S & W Bengal, Kerala, Sri Lanka (dry zone) and the Maldives though, presumably not regularly in all these areas when one looks as the distribution map.

Grahame

Last edited:

johnallcock

Oriental Pratincole has been satellite tracked from Australian wintering grounds to breeding sites in India (Karnataka). As far as I know, this is the only species currently confirmed to carry out such a migration.

I admit that, being aware of this satellite tracking data, I didn't check the status of the different pratincole species and assumed Oriental was more common/widespread than seems to be the case.
I hadn't checked many photos of pratincole chicks for comparison so wasn't confident which species it was (hence the qualified 'maybe' and question mark). Nevertheless, the chick in question does look very similar to the Oriental linked by Vyomkesh.

Users who are viewing this thread