• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id Help - Coimbatore, India - 5 (1 Viewer)

mihir

India
Request id help for these birds clicked in Jan 2021
1)
2)
3)
4)

Attachments

• _MBJ1795.jpg
    _MBJ1795.jpg
    11.1 MB · Views: 44
  • _MBJ1807.jpg
    _MBJ1807.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
  • _MBJ1861.jpg
    _MBJ1861.jpg
    848.9 KB · Views: 43
  • _MBJ5397.jpg
    _MBJ5397.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 46
Hi Mihir,

Not sure on 1( Lark of some sort) or 2 (Pipit?).
3) Looks good for a Crested Serpent Eagle (dark crest, bands on wings)
4) Honey Buzzard of some sort, presume Crested Honey Buzzard on location (pigeon-like head)

Inexperienced guesses on the first two from a bit of time on eBird:
1) Jerdon's Bushlark (supercilium looks thin for Indian)
2) Paddyfield Pipit (though challenging to distinguish from Blyth's or Richard's from this one photo)

I'm sure I'll be corrected by someone with more Indian bird experience! Nice shots btw.

Inexperienced guesses on the first two from a bit of time on eBird:
1) Jerdon's Bushlark (supercilium looks thin for Indian)
2) Paddyfield Pipit (though challenging to distinguish from Blyth's or Richard's from this one photo)

I'm sure I'll be corrected by someone with more Indian bird experience! Nice shots btw.
Found one more photo for #2. Is this useful?

Attachments

• _MBJ1804.jpg
    _MBJ1804.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Agree with a lot of what's been said so far:
1) Jerdon's Bushlark
2) Blyth's Pipit for me as well - I haven't encountered these pipits in the field, however in the Princeton guide "Birds of India," the authors note that southern peninsula Paddyfields (ssp. malayensis) are darker and more heavily streaked - contrary to how this bird presents. Impression is also shorter beaked, shorter tailed, and shorter stanced than Richard's.
3) Crested Serpent Eagle
4) Oriental Honey-buzzard

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back