• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id Help - Darjeeling, India - 1 (1 Viewer)

mihir

India
Request id help for these birds clicked in Darjeeling in August this year.

1) Abberant bush warbler?
2) Abberant bush warbler?
3) Rufous-winged fulvetta?
4) & 5) Humes bush warbler?

Attachments

• _DSC5592.jpg
    _DSC5592.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 27
  • _DSC5855.jpg
    _DSC5855.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 27
  • _DSC5696.jpg
    _DSC5696.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 28
  • _DSC5807.jpg
    _DSC5807.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 30
  • _DSC5812.jpg
    _DSC5812.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 28
With the caveat that I have no first-hand experience of Aberrant or Hume's Bush Warblers (only seen Brownish-flanked), surely no.1 is Aberrant, with that strong loral stripe, greenish upperparts and yellow cast to the underparts. This is apparently more typical of Himalayan birds. It must be a juvenile with that much yellow on the bill, although more advanced in age than the birds in no.2.

As for nos. 4-5, I see no reason to suspect Hume's. There's quite a broad loral stripe, the crown is quite dull (concolorous with the mantle) and there are no rufous tones on the flight feathers. Again it looks a bit too yellowish on the underparts for Brownish-flanked, but I wouldn't like to say it's Aberrant with any certainty.

EDIT: Forgot to say I agree with Rufous-winged Fulvetta for no.3.

Last edited:
1. and 2. are Aberrant Bush Warblers, 3. is Rufous-winged Fulvetta, and the last two are photos are of a Bush Warbler but cannot say certainly. I'd like to agree with @andyb39 If I find some conclusive identification then I'll definitely bring it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back