• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Help for Rosefinch sp. - Himalayas, North India (1 Viewer)

sbiswas.geo

Requesting ID help for this Rosefinch seen at Chitkul, Himachal Pradesh, Northern India. Altitude 3450 m. Conifer-Birch-Rhododendron forest before it elevates further and turns into Trans-Himalayan cold desert habitat. Summer of 2019 (1st week of June).

An expert in India has suggested Himalayan Beautiful Rosefinch while another has suggested Blyth's Rosefinch, but I am confused with the yellow on its vent and belly, as it matches neither. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

P1090738E1.jpgP1090739E1.jpgP1090740E1.jpgP1090741E1.jpgP1090742E1.jpg

It's most certainly not Himalayan White-browed, which has a prominent superciium, streaked ear-coverts and a rufous wash on the throat and upper breast. Underpart streaking is much too heavy for female Common, which seems to me to have a different structure in any case. I would go for Himalayan Beautiful because of the slighter bill (quite heavy on Blyth's) and the less prominent supercilium, which becomes more distinct behind the eye, apparently typical of the species. Blyth's seems to have a more distinct and broader supercilium. It's tricky though, as some images of Himalayan Beautiful barely show a super at all, whereas others show quite a distinct one.

Isn't Blyth's quite a large Rosefinch, probably distinctly bigger than Beautiful?

I think Butty is probably right about the yellow wash being pollen staining.

Yes, Blyth's is larger. But I do not have a size estimate in this photo. So the shape/size of bill is probably only clue. But it is a distant shot and apparent shape/size of bill could be affected by camera blur. I am tending to agree with pollen on a Beautiful because it surely is a misfit for White-browed or another kind.

It's most certainly not Himalayan White-browed, which has a prominent superciium, streaked ear-coverts and a rufous wash on the throat and upper breast. Underpart streaking is much too heavy for female Common, which seems to me to have a different structure in any case. I would go for Himalayan Beautiful because of the slighter bill (quite heavy on Blyth's) and the less prominent supercilium, which becomes more distinct behind the eye, apparently typical of the species. Blyth's seems to have a more distinct and broader supercilium. It's tricky though, as some images of Himalayan Beautiful barely show a super at all, whereas others show quite a distinct one.

Isn't Blyth's quite a large Rosefinch, probably distinctly bigger than Beautiful?

I think Butty is probably right about the yellow wash being pollen staining.
Assuming it's an adult?

I thought I could see a feint, super in a couple of shots.

Agree with likely Himalayan Beautiful, the supercilium starts from just above the eye + structure is wrong for Blyth's; too slim and slight-billed. Blyth's has a different head pattern, the longer supercilium starting at the bill base as well as a distinct unmarked pale area below the eye so that pale encircles the eye-see https://ebird.org/india/checklist/S65266464 the OP does not show this feature.

Agree yellow patch on right flank is due to pollen staining.

Grahame

Thanks Grahame. Beautiful Rosefinch with pollen patch seems to be the most fitting possibility. Agreed.

BTW, this particular area is popular for Rosefinches. Apart from Beautiful, I got Common, Pink-browed and Great Rosefinches (and possibly Dark-rumped) here. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back