• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Id Help - Malang, Kalyan, Maharashtra (1 Viewer)

mihir

Request id help for this bird. Photographed in Dec 2020

Attachments

• _DSC9574.jpg
    _DSC9574.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 33
  • _DSC9578.jpg
    _DSC9578.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 32

dwatsonbirder

I suspect this is a Lanceolated warbler due to the clearly demarcated edges to the tertials and the apparently isolated black spots on what can be seen of the undertail coverts, but I'd be keen to hear opinions from somebody how has seen more than a single individual (briefly and several years ago!) for confirmation.
Additionally, I think the PP looks on the short side in DSC9578, which should be indicative of LW over Grasshopper warbler - though I've no experience and limited knowledge of straminea.

Last edited:

andyb39

This should be Common Grasshopper Warbler ssp. straminea, I think. As far as I can see, this race can be quite streaked/spotted on the flanks and also on the undertail-coverts. Lanceolated is very rare in India and occurs much further east than this.

dwatsonbirder

This should be Common Grasshopper Warbler ssp. straminea, I think. As far as I can see, this race can be quite streaked/spotted on the flanks and also on the undertail-coverts. Lanceolated is very rare in India and occurs much further east than this.
That's what I suspected tbh Andy, thanks for confirming - are the neat tertials ok for straminea?
I thought it was out of range, but there appear to be some records on the western side of India according to my Helm guide.

andyb39

That's what I suspected tbh Andy, thanks for confirming - are the neat tertials ok for straminea?
I thought it was out of range, but there appear to be some records on the western side of India according to my Helm guide.
It seems so - you can see a similar tertial pattern in a number of images here: https://ebird.org/media/catalog?tax...N)&regionCode=IN&q=Common Grasshopper-Warbler.

On eBird, sightings of Lanceolated have been near Kolkota, Bangladesh and Andaman & Nicobar Islands only.

Users who are viewing this thread