• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help needed 2 raptors and a heron - Bolivia (1 Viewer)

David_

Germany
Hi,

had some spare time this evening and went through the last remaining pictures from a trip to Bolivia in March/April 2009 which I haven't tagged yet. I came across 3 pictures where I wasn't able to identify the birds.

First one was taken on April 3rd over El Alto (La Paz). I think it's a raptor but have no idea which species.

IMG_0806.jpeg

Second one was taken on April 6th somewhere in a rural village in the municipio Ayo Ayo (ca. 70 km south of La Paz). Again I think it's a raptor but have no idea which species. Probably hard to ID with just one image and only showing the flying bird from the back but the prominent white tail with the dark band at the end can hopefully help.

IMG_0880.jpeg

Third one was taken on the south-eastern shore of Lake Titicaca on April 7th. I think the small white heron in the center is either a snowy egret or a cattle egret. Which one do you think it is? Legs and bill look dark so I would guess snowy egret but this could be due to the bad image quality if you zoom in.

IMG_1040.jpeg

Thanks for your help

Thanks for the confirmation of snowy egret. Also compared my images to some images of variable hawk from bird and it looks like match.

Thank you!

#1 looks for me like a Short-tailed Hawk
Could be: not sure how you can tell for sure with pics of this quality. The only hawk I saw listed on nearby ebird lists was variable (and I could make the pics fit that) but of course this doesn't definitely rule short-tailed out

Could be: not sure how you can tell for sure with pics of this quality. The only hawk I saw listed on nearby ebird lists was variable (and I could make the pics fit that) but of course this doesn't definitely rule short-tailed out

I think you are right with Variable Hawk.

Attachments

• IMG_0806 (2).jpeg
    IMG_0806 (2).jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 4
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back