• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help needed for Locustella Warbler sp. - Nagaland, India (1 Viewer)

sbiswas.geo

Dear Members,

Need your help to conclude this bird, if possible. The observer logged this bird as Spotted Bush Warbler in eBird, but upon hearing its song, some are of the opinion that this is actually a Baikal Bush warbler. I could not find an exact similar song in Xeno or ML. It has a unique beginning, though the rest of the song sounds somewhat like Baikal.

Thanks in advance.

eBird link

It's surely not Spotted, which has a very different song, and apart from that atypical beginning, sounds spot on for Baikal.

I found this page during my search, which contrasts the two species nicely: https://www.shanghaibirding.com/bush-warblers/.
Thanks Andrew. Yes the atypical beginning is what threw us off. The observer is a naturalist from North-East India and he insists that this is a Spotted Bush song that he is familiar with.

I am familiar with that link you shared, but to be honest, some of the birds we have sighted this season are very confusing if we go by those descriptions. I already have two examples from West Bengal where the birds were identified respectively as Baikal and Spotted by playback, but plumage-wise they look very opposite. :( I will post them in this forum separately for discussion.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back