• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Id Help - North Sikkim/India - 8 (1 Viewer)

mihir

India
Request id help for these birds clicked in dec 2021 (clicked around Lachen)

1) 2) & 3) 4) Dark breasted rosefinch?
5) Grey Crested Tit?

Attachments

• _DSC0099.jpg
    _DSC0099.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 36
  • _DSC0100.jpg
    _DSC0100.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 23
  • _DSC0117.jpg
    _DSC0117.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 19
  • _DSC0120.jpg
    _DSC0120.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 37
  • _DSC9445.jpg
    _DSC9445.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 36

ratt

You look correct to me on the first 4.......going to have a good look at my book before commenting on 5.

ratt

All correct.

Ratt, Grey-crested Tit is fine for no.5 - it has a white collar, which rules out all the Yuhinas, and the bill looks OK to me.
I was looking at Whiskered Yuhina Andy. I have seen many, but only up to 2500m or so.

Grahame Walbridge

I was looking at Whiskered Yuhina Andy. I have seen many, but only up to 2500m or so.
Definitely not Ratt and you say have seen many-really? Then you could have least attached an image of the relevant taxon for Sikkim which is nominate flavicollis rather than albicollis from the W Himalayas.

The OP lacks a white orbital ring and black whisker, not to mention bill and tail structure are completely wrong + wrong bare bare part colouration.

It's a Grey-crested Tit.

Grahame

ratt

Definitely not Ratt and you say have seen many-really? Then you could have least attached an image of the relevant taxon for Sikkim which is nominate flavicollis rather than albicollis from the W Himalayas.

The OP lacks a white orbital ring and black whisker, not to mention bill and tail structure are completely wrong + wrong bare bare part colouration.

It's a Grey-crested Tit.

Grahame
Yes of course Grahame. I posted this taxon just as a indicator that some Yuhina do show a white collar. And it is also relevant to mention that many Yuhina I have seen don't show a strong orbital ring. I look at the face colour and underpart colour of the OP and don't see Grey-Crested Tit. Brown face and pale underparts.

ratt

I agree with all the comments voting for Grey-Crested. A couple of points that are interesting for me to clarify is where the dividing line between W and E Himalaya for the Yuhina taxon's run. I only have my memory and not records, but I think I was still getting Albicollis in Kalimpong /Lava, and sure around KTM. Also does anyone remember that at times on some Yuhina the eye ring is not seen.

Grahame Walbridge

I agree with all the comments voting for Grey-Crested. A couple of points that are interesting for me to clarify is where the dividing line between W and E Himalaya for the Yuhina taxon's run. I only have my memory and not records, but I think I was still getting Albicollis in Kalimpong /Lava, and sure around KTM. Also does anyone remember that at times on some Yuhina the eye ring is not seen.
The western limit of flavicollis is C Nepal so your birds in W. Bengal were all this taxon (as in Sikkim), easily confirmed if you had bothered to check online.

Grahame

Users who are viewing this thread