• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID HELP - NYC -Never saw this bird before?? (1 Viewer)

EBO from NYC

Hi Anyone & everyone, I know this is long shot but I saw a bird yesterday (4/3/19) afternoon in NYC, midtown, 50th St & Broadway. It was about the size of a small seagull but not a seagull as the beak was too small. All white on the back & body but had blue color on the underside of the wings, a longish neck and the most striking thing was the colored ring that went fully around the neck that had what seemed like the most perfectly shaped bright green ovals each with 3 or four black dots within each oval. I'm kicking myself that my phone was on my desk when I stepped out for a second and when I got within about 10 feet to get a better look it took off and flew atop the building across the street. I've been looking for it out my window every chance but I haven't seen it return and probably won't at this point. I've been scouring over pictures on the web since I saw it and cannot find anything that looks really like it. Also wondering if the ring around the neck could be a one-off mutation or something along those lines? Any help would be appreciated.

The only thing I can think of is some sort of pigeon, like, for example, some pigeon-fancier's bred pigeon
However I am not terribly well acquainted with birds in that region.

Thanks to both of you for your quick response. I should have mentioned while it was smaller than a seagull, it was larger than any pigeon I've ever seen, maybe like a juvenile seagull size, it's wingspan was probably like 2 1/2 to 3 feet from tip to tip. Much larger than any pigeon I've ever seen & didn't remind me of a pigeon in any way. The neck was long, kind of like a stubby goose neck. Thanks again though!!

Thanks guys, but not sure it's either of those. Didn't have that head crest that I think is indicative of peafowl nor did the bill seem large enough to be a duck's bill. Might have to chalk this one up to just a mystery sighting unless/until I ever see it again and am able to take a photo. Thanks for everyone that chimed in though!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back