• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Help - Peru - Part 4: Los AMigos (1 Viewer)

Semiramis

One more from Los Amigos. Maybe Brown-crested Flycatcher, which is an uncommon austral migrant in the area. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Sjef

Attachments

• LA 08A.jpg
    LA 08A.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 48
  • LA 08B.jpg
    LA 08B.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 55
The bill looks too small, and too dull on the chest for Brown-crested.

My guess would be either Swainson's or Short-crested (no visible rufous in the wings contrasting dark head, pretty dull belly) but I didn't even remember that those existed until I looked them up just now, so take that with a grain of salt...

Thanks, good calls! Short-crested would the common/expected one (saw many of those) but didn't think of Swainson's. Somehow this one looked different, that is paler, than the other short-crested I have seen, but maybe it is just the light. I will stick with Short-crested unless someone can give convincing arguments for Swainson's. Would be a lifer :)

Probable Swainson's but hard to say for sure from the images. I recall Swainson's having this hint of a mask as is shown by this bird and that is the first species that came to mind.

Yeah, I'd call this Swainson's Flycatcher due to the 'masked' appearance and the clearly pale base to the mandible.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back