• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

id help request Wheatear sp. Cape Kaliakra, Bulgaria, 2019 (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Going through some previous photos I had a look just recently at three photos of a bird seen but at the time not thought much about.
Please may I request advice as to what species it might be

Attachments

• bulg wheatear sp.jpg
    bulg wheatear sp.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 140
I agree that the breast sides look swarthy and of course Pied is a strong alternative (which is why I said ‘tentative’ Northern😉) - However, I liked the isolated and solid rusty ear coverts, darkish lores and strong supercilium flaring behind the eyes for Northern. Autumn female Northern can show darkish breast sides too (a bit!)

I am wondering how one would rule out either for sure based on these image resolutions and these angles?

Last edited:
I agree that the breast sides look swarthy and of course Pied is a strong alternative (which is why I said ‘tentative’ Northern😉) - However, I liked the isolated and solid rusty ear coverts, darkish lores and strong supercilium flaring behind the eyes for Northern. Autumn female Northern can show darkish breast sides too (a bit!)

I am wondering how one would rule out either for sure based on these image resolutions and these angles?
Or even Black-eared.....?

Deb

I have no idea how you are judging colours from this image...the yellow colour cast is so bad that it negates any accurate assessment of colour.

Brian

Deb

I have no idea how you are judging colours from this image...the yellow colour cast is so bad that it negates any accurate assessment of colour.

Brian
Fair enough, they look warm but maybe ‘rusty’ is the wrong word. Solid ear coverts of ‘warm brown’ would be a better description.
I have difficulty seeing colours accurately on my monitor so was mainly referring to the strong face pattern tbh.

http://www.johnbettsphotography.co.uk/northern-wheatear.html Autumn F

Happy to go with the majority - am certainly not 100% sure on anything here 🙂

Last edited:
Or Pied x Black - eared which at this location is a distinct possibility ( he added unhelpfully:unsure:)!
Richard

I have visited Cape Kaliakra (and area) many times in spring and autumn and never seen a hybrid - many Pied, no hybrids. Attached a female from September 2010.

Brian

Attachments

• pied wheatear fm cape kaliakra 0910.jpg
    pied wheatear fm cape kaliakra 0910.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Thanks for putting me right there Brian, I must be thinking of somewhere else I’d read about where there were hybrids, your photo shows the dark breast band nicely which to my eyes is evident on the OP photo even though overexposed.

Thanks for putting me right there Brian, I must be thinking of somewhere else I’d read about where there were hybrids, your photo shows the dark breast band nicely which to my eyes is evident on the OP photo even though overexposed.
Hi Richard

Sorry if my comment came across as a bit brusque, it was not my intention.

I guess I could have added the word 'knowingly' to 'never seen a hybrid'...

Brian

Hi Richard

Sorry if my comment came across as a bit brusque, it was not my intention.

I guess I could have added the word 'knowingly' to 'never seen a hybrid'...

Brian
I didn’t take it as brusque at all Brian !! I’ve only been to Cape Kaliakra once during my ‘single parent years’, late August 1997 with my three sons in tow (17, 12 and 9 years old at the time) so not surprisingly I managed just one Wheatear sp (which had a good resemblance to your image)!
I will return one day 🤞

Just to add to the mix, how anyone can exclude Black-Eared Wheatear from the equation is baffling!
If I may quote Collins under Pied Wheatear....”a few Autumn females are warmer pinkish brown or orange on breast and very like Eastern race of BEW (melanoleuca)......

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back