• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID - Imagination needed. Central WV, USA (1 Viewer)

baccalynnwv

Hi All,

Your imagination may be needed on this. I'm posting mostly out of curiosity. I'd like to have some suggestions to show my daughter.

A bird flew onto my mom's porch earlier this week and couldn't find its way out all day long, so my 12 year old daughter was able to catch it - rather easily she said - with her hands, and let it loose outside.

She tried to describe it for me. She said the strangest detail about it was its tail. She kept saying it was spread out like a fishes tail (which I'm assuming it was balancing itself on the window trim. These windows don't open. The dog typically opens the door during the day so that's how it got in...)

She said the tail had little round feathers hanging off the ends. The tail also had intermittent white strips running down it.

She attempted to draw a picture for me, but I can't figure it out.

She said the light gray areas shown on the drawing were all actually very dark gray, but my phone didn't have that color option on the drawing pad.

My son who saw the bird said he thought it was more of a grayish-blue.

It was small, fit inside her hand easily.

Showing her pictures, she said a Northern Parula was the closest we could find, but she was sure it was not it because it did not have the little things hanging off the tail. She was persistent about it having these "hanging circles" on the bottom of the tail.

I don't know. Maybe the end of the tail had some part of the feather's ripped off making it look like what she was describing.

What do you all think?

Central WV, USA, in the mountains.

Attachments

• Screenshot9520171011-184123.jpg
    Screenshot9520171011-184123.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot9520171011-183154.jpg
    Screenshot9520171011-183154.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 15
With the amount of black that's in the drawing, I think Yellow-throated Warbler might be a better match. White strips running down the tail is a good description of how its fanned tail would look. I can't really account for the hanging circles on the tail, though this photo that I found does hint at how it might have appeared that way.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back