• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Leica Bin's please..? (1 Viewer)

That's true and a somehow strange deviation from the formerly used letter "A" (= "armiert" = reinforced; Armour); see e.g. my Trinovid 8x42 BA.

Because I had no clue I phoned with Leica in Wetzlar ten minutes ago - as always a pleasurable call. I was told that the "R" actually stood for "Rubber", maybe an effort to use a more internationalist nomenclature at that time. But the friendly respondent hinted at the sometimes not perfectly consistent decisions of marketing & design people...

I suggested that the "R" could perhaps also mean "robust" but he negated that, pointing that all Leica binoculars are robust, be them wrapped in leather, rubber or polyurethane. ;)
Excellent. Did you ask them about BN too?

Lee

Excellent. Did you ask them about BN too? Lee
Unfortunately no because I just had this little "R" question and did not want to waste his time.

Anyway, I guess we both know that the "N" comes from the German "nah" = close, near. In a German optics forum I've read the "N" stands for "dichter Nahpunkt" = close near point. Maybe it's slightly different and spells "(bessere) Naheinstellung" = (better) close-focus or something like that, who knows. But in the end the origin "nah" is obvious as the difference between the former Trinovid BA and the following Trinovid BN was the shorter close focusing distance and - as far as I know - Leica did not use English abbreviations at that time yet.

Addendum: Ok, ok, their pocket binos were labelled "BC" and "BCA" even before the Trinovid BA appeared. And the "C" means compact = "kompakt" in English spelling. Things remain difficult... :sneaky:

Last edited:
Unfortunately no because I just had this little "R" question and did not want to waste his time.

Anyway, I guess we both know that the "N" comes from the German "nah" = close, near. In a German optics forum I've read the "N" stands for "dichter Nahpunkt" = close near point. Maybe it's slightly different and spells "(bessere) Naheinstellung" = (better) close-focus or something like that, who knows. But in the end the origin "nah" is obvious as the difference between the former Trinovid BA and the following Trinovid BN was the shorter close focusing distance and - as far as I know - Leica did not use English abbreviations at that time yet.

Addendum: Ok, ok, their pocket binos were labelled "BC" and "BCA" even before the Trinovid BA appeared. And the "C" means compact = "kompakt" in English spelling. Things remain difficult... :sneaky:
Yes the meaning of BN is well-known but I wondered how Leica might explain it.

Their BN model is, IMHO, just as much a bino icon as Swaro's EL. or Zeiss's SF.

BTW if you ever have the opportunity to visit the city of Wetzlar you would find the aldstadt very beautiful.

Lee

I paid $1550 for mine in 2004. They are still among the finest 10x50 binoculars made, and excellent for astronomy.

Last edited:
Ultravid = since 2004 the designation of Leica's top binoculars
B = Brillenträgerokulare = oculars suitable for spectacle wearers
R = rubberized body

You bought an alpha binocular, paid almost 2,000 quid and didn't care a straw what's in the box? A likely story!
Well I was hoping that at least the BINS were in the box and they were. I actually bought 2 pairs that day and the other ones were Leica 10X42 same model and my wife has those in Sri Lanka when we are there in the winter time...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back