• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'd like a 5d iv but ? (1 Viewer)

garymicheal

I've currently got two 7dmk ii and fancy a 5d mk iv my question is how would the 5d mk iv compare to the 7dmkii on my 600mm f4 I know I get more reach from the crop sensor of the 7d but if I cropped a 5d pic would the end result be better from the 5d mk iv ?

I have sent you a PM with a couple of files from a 1DX and 7D2 on an 800 F5.6 which may help give you some idea of the framing difference.

Note these were taken under ideal conditions - in poorer conditions I would prefer the full frame body - which is why my 7D2 doesn't get much use with this lens. There are times, however, when it is just the job!

I have a 5d mk 4 and use it on a 600 f4 I also have a 1dX .The frame rate is only 7 a sec but the image that its produces I can live with the slower frame rate

You could have a look on Glenn Bartley's website, he does a side by side comparison.

DOes anyone have any practical experience of using 1Dxmkii and 5D mkiv? I have read the technical reviews but woudl like some input from someone who has experienced both. I currently have 7Dmkii and was wondering if it worth giving any other part of my anatomy (as well as an arm & leg) to get the 1Dxmkii. I use it for wildlife, especially bird, photography.

Robert, I looked on his web site but could not see a comparison.

Thanks in advance

Robert, I looked on his web site but could not see a comparison.

Have a look here:

http://www.glennbartley.com/Canon5DmarkIVSetupReviewandSettings.html#Review

It's not a very scientific or definitive review, but it provides a bit of input.

My own personal view on the best Canon body for bird photography at the moment...if you do lots of action photography...1dx mark 1 or 2, if you tend towards perched bird photography and aren't too trigger happy and have top quality optics to take advantage of the ultra high resolution - 5DSr - if you want a compromise between the two, 7D mk ii.

Have a look here:

http://www.glennbartley.com/Canon5DmarkIVSetupReviewandSettings.html#Review

It's not a very scientific or definitive review, but it provides a bit of input.

My own personal view on the best Canon body for bird photography at the moment...if you do lots of action photography...1dx mark 1 or 2, if you tend towards perched bird photography and aren't too trigger happy and have top quality optics to take advantage of the ultra high resolution - 5DSr - if you want a compromise between the two, 7D mk ii.

Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back