• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID of an Oriolus sp. from Pakistan (1 Viewer)

@oriolus

Pakistan
I photographed this oriole female on 19th February, 2021 at a green spot in Central Karachi, Sindh Province, Pakistan.
I initially identified it as a female O.kundoo which is expected from here and I have seen it before here.

After looking at some photographs of female Black naped oriole's on some forums, I am having second thoughts about this bird because of the bill. It seems thicker for Indian Golden oriole (O.kundoo) and perhaps right for a Black Naped Oriole (O.chinensis)? There also seems to be a hint of black nape or is it the light's work?

O.kundoo is resident/ winter visitor/ summer visitor/ passage migrant in large parts of Pakistan.
O.chinensis has been record in Karachi and around its outskirts as a winter Vagrant. There only have been two National records of it and both from in and around Karachi. There has been a record of a male this year too.

Attachments

• oriole.jpg
    oriole.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 27
  • RSCN2367.JPG
    RSCN2367.JPG
    229.4 KB · Views: 27
  • RSCN2368.JPG
    RSCN2368.JPG
    940 KB · Views: 20
  • RSCN2369.JPG
    RSCN2369.JPG
    894.8 KB · Views: 20
  • RSCN2370.JPG
    RSCN2370.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 20
  • RSCN2371.JPG
    RSCN2371.JPG
    442.4 KB · Views: 18
  • RSCN2372.JPG
    RSCN2372.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 26
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back