• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID of bird feathers in North Central Texas (1 Viewer)

Scrogdog

The other day, my son, who lives close to me asked me if I had seen a bird that appeared to be stuck in a hollowed out spot in a tree at the front of his lot. He Said only the wing feathers were sticking out and rest was inside the narrow opening. I checked it out this afternoon and all I could pull out was the wing that was outside. Have no idea how it ended up in the hollow of the tree, but in looking at what I could pull off, I simply don't have any idea what kind of bird it is. Do know it was fairly large, but color of wing doesn't look like any bird in this area that I am aware of. We have lots of Mississippi Kites in neighborhood this summer and have two resident Red shouldered Hawks and several Crows, but this doesn't look like any of them to me or anything else that I see here. Thought maybe someone might have an idea based on wing colors and patterns.

Attachments

• IMG_1958.JPG
    IMG_1958.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 26
Looks like it has some resemblance to the wing of a Black-bellied Whistling-Duck, though I am not sure it is a perfect match.

Looks like it has some resemblance to the wing of a Black-bellied Whistling-Duck, though I am not sure it is a perfect match.
BB Whistling-Duck would fit well with hollow tree location too, though maybe a predator/scavenger took it up there. I'm not sure what else would show such rich chestnut in addition to the black and white in the wing.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back