• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID of seedlings, please (1 Viewer)

IamFof

England
Now my Cornish hedge is finished, I am preparing to plant it out.
Checking seedlings I have in a nursery bed to check the labels are still good and plants were ready.
All looks good except for this one.
They are tagged as Jasione montana, which I did sow. The seed coming from a good trusted source.
They just don't look like what I was expecting, somehow.
It is a biennial, so these could just be the young leaves. They seem to be similar to J. montana, but appear to be, too big and rounded.
All the books I have, describe the leaf when it's in flower and any reference to young leaves are very superficial.
When I've seen them in the wild, they have always been growing in hedgerows, growing through everything, and hence at their max height. Impossible to see the leaves at ground level.
What thinks you all?
TIA
Fof
P0000001 (small).jpgP0000002 (small).jpgP0000003 (small).jpg

Have to say I think of it as a rough-grassland thing. Can't offhand remember seeing it as part of a hedge. I can't say that your photos put me in mind of it at all, but, as you say, one tends to be quite unfamiliar with out-of-season leaf-shapes. I would be rather doubtful that this is what you think/hope it is.

could it be Cuban Oregano?

maxresdefault.jpg

Hi guys.
Young Digitalis is what I suspect, Bummer.
Even though the seed source is normally very reputable, accidents do happen.
I guess the Cornish hedge will have to have foxglove included this year, not in a couple of years, as planned.

definitely not Digitalis, opposite alternate pairs of leaves, possibly square stem, could be Salvia (sage) family
The original photo is different plant to the latter one. Original still looks like Digitalis. Somebody else posted a different plant to which you must be referring & named it as Cuban Oregano.

Last edited:
Hi guys
Well the Jasione montana seeds germinated and gave me a great batch of Digitalis, which are now ready to be beheaded before they set seed.
Checking over the Cornish Hedge, I have spotted a couple of small Digitalis seedlings, sprouting from between the stones. These will be the native spp, and not one of the garden varieties.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back