• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID possible female Fulvous-Shrike Tanager, ne Peru Amazon (1 Viewer)

rdavis

rdavis
The attached photo was taken 11 April 2010 at edge of terra firma forest at ExplorNapo Lodge near Napo River in Amazon drainage of northeastern Peru. Can anyone help identify it? Thanks.
rdavis ("Ron")

Attachments

• Tanager cf., Fulvous-Shrike fem for BF 9101.jpg
    Tanager cf., Fulvous-Shrike fem for BF 9101.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 119
Female Becard

Hi Motmot:

Much thanks for your suggested ID. The color is certainly right, but the bill looks awfully heavy in comparison with the becard plates in the Clements and Shany book, almost like a finch or heavy tanager bill. Comments?

Ron

Hi Motmot:

Much thanks for your suggested ID. The color is certainly right, but the bill looks awfully heavy in comparison with the becard plates in the Clements and Shany book, almost like a finch or heavy tanager bill. Comments?

Ron

Try and look in a different book:t:. The artwork is not up to standard of Collins Guide or even Sibley. Better yet use google images to see what one really looks like. I'm afraid we have a long way to go before field guides are of a uniformly good standard across the world.

Agree, this has to be a female Pink-throated Becard. Please allow me to use it in the opus page, and please also upload to the gallery.

I looked in # Ridgely and Tudor 2009. Field guide to the songbirds of South America - The Passerines. University of Texas Press. ISBN 978-0-292-71979-8

Niels

Agree on this being a female Pink-throated Becard. The bill shape does look tanager-like but that's due to the angle at which it is shown.

A belated thanks to the five of you for ID'ing this bird. NJLarson -- I'm honored by your selection of the image for Opus. I've just downloaded three other images to my (rdavis) portfolio in the birdforum gallery, so have reached my daily limit. However, I'll load this one tomorrow, when you can get the particulars on the photo by going to my portfolio.

Ron

I don't know about the Clements and Shany book but the Ridgely and Greenfield give a very good illustration in their "Birds of Ecuador". Looks right on the money.

Thanks Ron,
I have already uploaded the version on this thread today; if need be, I can update with changes tomorrow. Link

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back