• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID request - Cali, Colombia (1 Viewer)

OsageArcher

Here's a small (5" or so, 12-13cm) presumed flycatcher, in Cali, Colombia, altitude about 1050m ASL, in a residential area. I can't find anything that quite matches in the little "Birds of Colombia" field guide!

Attachments

• bird_20140117_001s.JPG
    bird_20140117_001s.JPG
    615.5 KB · Views: 77
Thanks! I did not consider that since the picture in the book for the female is considerably - nay, completely - different! Apparently the coloration and pattern can vary a lot...

Looks fairly typical for the species. Consider that field guides only show perfect full-lit colouration and poses though -- can't hope for that in real life ;)

Here's a close approximation of what the book shows, though the book has an even more pronounced and prominent white eyebrow. I just could not make the connection!

Attachments

• femVF.jpg
    femVF.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 31
Vermilion Fly is a relatively variable species (especially re females/young males) in my experience

Niels

If you are using the ProAves "Birds of Colombia" then you might have one or two problems like this. Although it's very useful as the only available guide that's pocket-sized, some of the pictures are in need of improvement. Birds of Northern South America has much better pictures, but not as portable!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back