• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Request : Mallorcan Social Wasp (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Good morning,

These nest building wasps were found in the Albufereta reserve near Port de Pollenca on the northern coast of Mallorca back in April this year.

Unfortunately for me, I am only armed with one page of wasps in my guide. The facial features fit none of them.

So I hope someone here is able to assist me with this one.

Regards,
Andrew.

Attachments

• MALLORCANWASP 01.JPG
    MALLORCANWASP 01.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 137
  • MALLORCANWASP 02.JPG
    MALLORCANWASP 02.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 125
  • MALLORCANWASP 03.JPG
    MALLORCANWASP 03.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 128
  • MALLORCANWASP 04.JPG
    MALLORCANWASP 04.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 142
Thanks, I shall study the various Paper Wasps this afternoon/evening to narrow it down if I can.

Regards,
Andrew.

After checking the net I think European Paper Wasp (Polistes dominula) is a pretty safe bet as there seems to be little else in the way of contenders?

Another one here. This time this one was seen on Meshaw Moor in Mid Devon back in July. I feel this one is good for Ancistrocerus antilope. Is that good enough?

Attachments

• MESHAW WASP04.JPG
    MESHAW WASP04.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 165
Hi Andrew

There are only two species of Polistes listed for Mallorca, Polistes dominulus and Polistes gallicus. Unfortunately it is difficult to distinguish between them.

Martin

Evening Martin,

Thanks for clarifying that. I now see that it is difficult to pin either down so it shall be renamed as a 'Polistes Wasp Species'.

Where do you look to for a list of Mallorcan insects?

Regards,
Andrew.

Thanks Ficedula, I think I will 'have it'. Another one down and a sqillion more to go. Thank goodness for winter nights to give me time to identify my pictures.

Regards,
Andrew.

Last edited:
I agree with Polistes dominulus (yellow last sternite)

However, the Ancistrocerus is very unlikely to be antilope as this would probably be new for Mallorca

these sp listed in FaEur

Ancistrocerus ebusianus (Lichtenstein 1884)
Ancistrocerus gazella (Panzer 1798)
Ancistrocerus longispinosus (Saussure 1855)
Ancistrocerus renimacula Lepeletier 1841

gazella fits but do not have specimens of others available, i believe longispinosus is a common sp on Mallorca.

List of Balearic Eumenids

correction, five Ancistrocerus on Balearics

B) ISLAS BALEARES

B1) Taxones comunes a la Península
Ancistrocerus auctus renimacula
Ancistrocerus biphaleratus triphaleratus
Ancistrocerus gazella
Ancistrocerus longispinosus longispinosus
Eumenes coarctatus coarctatus
Eumenes dubius dubius
Eumenes mediterraneus mediterraneus
Eumenes subpomiformis
Euodynerus dantici dantici
Euodynerus posticus
Euodynerus variegatus variegatus
Leptochilus duplicatus duplicatus
Leptochilus ibizanus ibizanus
Leptochilus medanae
Leptochilus regulus
Microdynerus exilis
Microdynerus timidus
Odynerus reniformis
Pseudepipona lativentris lativentris
Pseudepipona sessilis
Rhynchium oculatum oculatum
Stenodynerus fastidiosissimus fastidiosissimus
Symmorphus gracilis

B2) Taxones no presentes en la Península (endemismos baleares)
Euodynerus minoricensis Sanza, Castro & Gayubo 2003
E. (Euodynerus) minoricensis Sanza, Castro & Gayubo 2003
Pseudepipona gineri (Schulthess 1934)
P. (Pseudepipona) gineri (Schulthess 1934)

Agree with Polistes dominula

(Note: the traditional species name 'dominulus' is now considered incorrect, so 'dominula' should be used. Ref: Baldock & Dvorak 2009. BWARS Newsletter).

I agree with Polistes dominulus (yellow last sternite)

However, the Ancistrocerus is very unlikely to be antilope as this would probably be new for Mallorca

these sp listed in FaEur

Ancistrocerus gazella (Panzer 1798)
Ancistrocerus longispinosus (Saussure 1855)
Ancistrocerus renimacula Lepeletier 1841

gazella fits but do not have specimens of others available, i believe longispinosus is a common sp on Mallorca.

Thanks for the confirmation of Polistes dominulus for Mallorca as well as the URL for the European website.The Ancistrocerus antilope was seen in Meshaw Moor in Mid Devon (UK). I did say in the original post but in retrospect I think maybe I should have started a new thread for it. I lazily added to this one as a 'rider' to save net space for the BF admin. My fault.

Regards,
Andrew.

Sorry, posted without reading details, still very unlikely to be antilope, a species I have never seen and very rare now. Key features not visible in photo, comparing with specimens this could be gazella, nigricornis or parietinus but i have no specimens of antilope or claripennis. What made you think it was antilope?

Morning,

Thanks. The cause of my deducing antilope was down to limitations in my literary amoury. I do not even have the other possibilities you mention in my book. I have searched for a decent wasp chart/guide but am not succeeding there. I have emailed FSC asking if they have anything.

Regards,
Andrew.

Last edited:
For UK species 'Key to British Potter and Mason Wasps' of which a shortened version is downloadalbe here: http://www.bwars.com/Resources.htm#Potter & Mason Wasps

Although aimed at being used with specimens, it does give an idea how tricky they are to separate to species level.

Other than that you're better off starting with 'Solitary Wasps' Naturalists' Handbook 3, or the recently published 'Wasps of Surrey' by David Baldock: http://www.bwars.com/wasps_of_surrey.htm

For UK species 'Key to British Potter and Mason Wasps' of which a shortened version is downloadalbe here: http://www.bwars.com/Resources.htm#Potter%20&%20Mason%20Wasps

Although aimed at being used with specimens, it does give an idea how tricky they are to separate to species level.

Other than that you're better off starting with 'Solitary Wasps' Naturalists' Handbook 3, or the recently published 'Wasps of Surrey' by David Baldock: http://www.bwars.com/wasps_of_surrey.htm

Thanks for that Wildwood, Surrey enthusiasts are lucky to have that book. I am a bit unsure of it's use to a Devon wildlife year lister next year. What do you reckon?

I got a few of those Naturalist's handbooks off ebay so I shall see if the seller has some on Wasps. Thanks. (EDIT : Found one through Postscript Books for £4.)

I got a reply from FSC and they do not have anything sadly. Maybe NHBS.

Regards,
Andrew.

Last edited:
As Surrey supports 90% of the British species of wasps, the information included is relavent no matter what county you're located in. I'd imagine vertually all the species found in Devon would be in the book. Same goes for the excellent 'Bees of Surrey' and indeed most of the 'of Surrey' series of books.

I don't know if there is a aculeate (bees, wasps & ants) recorder in Devon, but an email to the Wildlife Trust/Records Centre or contacting BWARS may provide you with details. If there is a recorder he/she may have a county species list.

As Surrey supports 90% of the British species of wasps, the information included is relavent no matter what county you're located in. I'd imagine vertually all the species found in Devon would be in the book. Same goes for the excellent 'Bees of Surrey' and indeed most of the 'of Surrey' series of books.

I don't know if there is a aculeate (bees, wasps & ants) recorder in Devon, but an email to the Wildlife Trust/Records Centre or contacting BWARS may provide you with details. If there is a recorder he/she may have a county species list.

That's a good suggestion. I shall get in touch with the DWT and ask for details of a county recorder in pursuit of a county list and/or advice regards literature.

I already have the Field Guide to Bumblebees, a pocket guide and the FSC chart.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back