• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

ID sought for ducks at Upolu, Big Island, Hawaii (1 Viewer)

GrahamsIsland

My first post here. I saw these two ducks on November 12, 2017 at Upolu Airport on the northern tip of the Big Island, Hawaii. I saw them briefly flying in and at first thought they were nene, but they clearly aren’t. Both birds had grey legs. Neither had the patches of color Hawaiian ducks have. I wonder if they’re some sort of hybrid. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Ducks Upolu Hawaii 111217.jpg
    Ducks Upolu Hawaii 111217.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Ducks Upolu Hawaii b 111217.jpg
    Ducks Upolu Hawaii b 111217.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Ducks Upolu Hawaii c 111217.jpg
    Ducks Upolu Hawaii c 111217.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 42

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Ditto to Northern Pintail; both are drakes just starting to moult out of eclipse or juvenile plumage - if they stick around, they'll look stunning in a few weeks.

GrahamsIsland

Thanks everyone for the ID. I did wonder about a juvenile bird, but my bird book doesn’t run to such photos. Alas, I won’t see them looking stunning since they have moved on. That location is a place where a lot of birds stop by after rain, for a rest or a bathe, because of the large puddles that form on the runway.

Users who are viewing this thread