• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Southern California Birds (1 Viewer)

hojpoj

Hojpoj
These two birds were seen today in Walnut, CA (southern California near Los Angeles). Please help me ID! 3 shots of the brown one, and 2 shots of the yellow one.

Thanks!
-hojpoj

Attachments

• IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 126
1-3. Rock Wren
4-5. Kingbird sp. I think maybe Cassin's Kingbird (contrasting white throat and malar patch and darkish grey breast. Can't see the white tip to the tail though).

Yay! Thanks so much, guys! Both are lifers (#105 and #106) for this newbie birder here. :) So exciting. Plus, I got to take the shots with my brand new SLR camera - Canon EOS Rebel T2i (250mm zoom).

What was also weird was that I also saw a pair of Killdeers running around on my street. (This is the fourth time I've seen them hanging out along the curb). Are they supposed to like arid, sagebrush hills and paved roads? I thought it was weird since there's not really any water nearby in Walnut, CA. Go figure.

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 80
What was also weird was that I also saw a pair of Killdeers running around on my street. (This is the fourth time I've seen them hanging out along the curb). Are they supposed to like arid, sagebrush hills and paved roads? I thought it was weird since there's not really any water nearby in Walnut, CA. Go figure.

While golf courses are more ideal for Killdeer, they can show up in a variety of open suburban habitats.

Killdeer are everywhere. As long as there's some kind of permanent fresh water nearby and grassy areas, they will show up. It can be a very small source of water like a drainage ditch or even someone's pool. And, they do sometimes hang out in paved areas like parking lots, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back