• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID- Thrush? (1 Viewer)

VTM

VTM
Nepal
Here's the picture that was also taken near Kathmandu at an elevation of about 2000m recently.

Black/Dark Throated Thrush or Dusky Thrush. What do you guys think!

Thanks_MG_7419.JPG

I'm going to move your thread to the Bird I D section of the Forum and you'll be notified when answers are posted ;)

I’m thinking that it might be a Black-Throated/Dusky Thrush intergrade, with dark flank streaking and rufous tint being a feature of the latter, not to mention the brown wing panel which is also pro Dusky.

Cheers

Certainly a very interesting bird! Also the hint of a supercilium suggests a hybrid Dusky-×-Black-throated... didn't even know that coul happen

Thank you all for your views and information, that is very interesting to read and know that this could be the hybrid Thrush! Does that possible and what would we call it DTT or DT???
Regards

Got this image again in early Jan in the same area of above Thrush. The image not so good but hopefully can be ID. Thanks

Very difficult to critically analyse such a poor quality image but I would suggest its more likely 1st-w (fem?) Dusky x Naumann's hybrid. There appear to be some admixed dark crescents to the underparts + cheeks rather solidly dark, rather similar to bird in plate 155 in link below.
http://indianbirds.in/pdfs/IB_12_6_DalviETAL_NaumannsThrush.pdf

I am fairly sure Naumann's would be a potential national 1st.

Grahame

Very difficult to critically analyse such a poor quality image but I would suggest its more likely 1st-w (fem?) Dusky x Naumann's hybrid. There appear to be some admixed dark crescents to the underparts + cheeks rather solidly dark, rather similar to bird in plate 155 in link below.

Grahame
I note from your link Grahame, that Naumann's has occurred in January in Assam, a mere 600km to the East of Katmandu somewhat West of their main Wintering grounds in Southern China.

As you know they have occurred in Western Europe during this period some 8,000kms to the West, thus 600km wouldn't seem like a big deal as a national 1st?

Apparently c20% of Dusky Thrushes that overwinter in the Bejing area are hybrid Naumann's according to your link? Indeed as to what extent that hybridization occurs....I know not. Suffice to say hybrids almost certainly make up a large minority of occurrences and that the imaged bird to my eye looked more Naumann's than Dusky.

Cheers

Grahame
Thanks Grahame for the thought, though would be wonderful if so for Nepal and yes sorry for the poor quality of image that I managed to get. Hope next time could find again

I note from your link Grahame, that Naumann's has occurred in January in Assam, a mere 600km to the East of Katmandu somewhat West of their main Wintering grounds in Southern China.

As you know they have occurred in Western Europe during this period some 8,000kms to the West, thus 600km wouldn't seem like a big deal as a national 1st?

Apparently c20% of Dusky Thrushes that overwinter in the Bejing area are hybrid Naumann's according to your link? Indeed as to what extent that hybridization occurs....I know not. Suffice to say hybrids almost certainly make up a large minority of occurrences and that the imaged bird to my eye looked more Naumann's than Dusky.

Cheers
Thanks KenM

That looks more promising but you still cannot see the flank markings very clearly and there's still some apparent darker brown markings visible. The 'blackish' crescents on the breast in the OP seem to have due to photographic effect. Your bird looks a good candidate Naumann's so it wouldn't do any harm submitting the record. Whether this image alone is considered good enough to meet the requirements of a national 1st is a decision for your national records committee.

Here is the Assam record referred to above http://indianbirds.in/pdfs/IB_15_1_HatibaruahETAL_NaumannsThrush.pdf

Grahame

Last edited:
Hi, can’t help with the ID. Just wanted to remind you to please put the location in the thread title, instead of (or along with) the location in the first post. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back